BobJAX
BobJAX Member Posts: 12 New User

Most of you probably know this, but...

If you need a word processor and don't want to buy one, simply

1. Right click the window pane in 8.0 and 8.1

2. Click "run"

3. Type "wordpad.exe"

4. Click

What's missing, spellcheck. But there are ways to check your spelling.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,095 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello BobJAX,

If you look for an office software, you could try open office or libre office (free).It's similar at MS office.

Wordpad or Notepad is a basic text editor.

France
  • BobJAX
    BobJAX Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

Thanks Laurent,

Wordpad has been improved beyond a basic text editor.

But I appreciate your feed back. Certainly one day I will want to add MS Office to this computer, which I have on another computer.

I am cautious about adding open source software. I see how many security patches come out for professional software. If I don't see strong security support for software I hestiate to add it to my computer.

• DaemonFC
    DaemonFC Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

I use LibreOffice only, because I just don't think that a certain software company that shall remain nameless needs hundreds of dollars out of my wallet every time the file formats change, and change they do, just about every release, which breaks compatibility for everyone who hasn't ponied up some dough lately. 

Anyway, I don't know why you'd be scared of LibreOffice. Like most open source software, they fix bugs. Security problems are just bugs, and they get fixed. They don't always make a big theatrical production every time one does get fixed, and malware writers typically go gunning for the big 'spensive office suite whose name shall not be spoken, anyway, just because more people use that. Which one would you go after? The one that's on 95% of the systems with an office suite, or the others?

Also, I believe that LibreOffice has good compatibility with that other office suite. The compatibility gets improved all the time, and I haven't seen it botch any files that I've opened in a long time. That's pretty good when you consider that that other office suite doesn't respect standards because the company that shall not be named thinks they are the standard. Smiley Happy

Just make sure to upgrade every now and then, for free, and don't worry about it too much. That's my opinion, anyway.

• DaemonFC
    DaemonFC Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

I never had good luck with Wordpad with files that the office suite that won't be named has produced. 

The files that the office suite that won't be named makes actually look a lot better in LibreOffice than they do in Wordpad, which only has very basic support for complex document formats.

If all you need is a smallish basic word processor with spell check support, there's always Abiword. It won't open the kind of documents that LibreOffice can, but Abiword is very small and has more features than Wordpad.

• Mo_el
    Mo_el Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options
    You can't go wrong downloading and using Apache Open Office. I've had it for many years before Apache took over. It's free and to me, knocks the socks off the MS expensive one. Go here to download it: http://www.down4load.org/en/downloads/645?gclid=CLfsusG0j8ACFUiVvQodpCUATg
This discussion has been closed.