Acer Aspire 5737z BIOS update

ssn1289
ssn1289 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

A while back, the HDD in my Acer Aspire 5737z died on me. So I replaced it with an SSD and everything worked fine for a while. Recently I had to change that SSD for another, and started getting BSOD's related to HDD/SSD failure.

The SSD has the latest firmware, and is brand new, so I'm thinking the BIOS(v1.10 from 2009) might have some compatibility issues with either the new SSD or some recent updates in Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (my current OS).

I'm not sure what to do about this situation, since on the official site there are no newer versions available for the BIOS (or other drivers). What can I do?

Answers

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

It would be more clear what problem you are facing if you would provide the BSOD error and the method you are installed Windows. Did you clone the OS as you changed the SSD?

• ssn1289
    ssn1289 Member Posts: 2 New User

No, i did not clone the OS, it is a fresh install on the new SSD.

As for the BSOD, there were 2 kinds so far: 'Kernel Data Inpage Error' and 'Critical Process Died'. None provided any aditional information, and both failed to create dumps despite settings being as they should be, and WES service running.

Also, sometimes after the BSOD, the BIOS would get stuck when loading at around 70%(around the time it should communicate with the default boot device) - hence my suspicion of an incompatibility  with the SSD. It could also be a driver issue, but all drivers are up to date (release dates at least from 2013), except for the ones from Acer (latest ones I could find are from 2009). Drivers could be conflicting maybe, but since I don't have dumps, I'm kind of in the dark.

This discussion has been closed.