A3-A10 : Cannot search for Android update!

Mouchafeu
Mouchafeu Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi Acer Community,
I'm a new proud owner of a A3-A10 tablet. I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm having a small problem though. Whenever I check for an android update, I get the following message: "The update service is temporarily unavailable. Please try later. Status code 1004". That's loosly translated from French (the language I am using).

Right now, the version is 4.2.2
I've searched for error code 1004 but came up empty...
Anybody has an idea of what might be the problem?
Thanks in advance
Serge D.

Best Answer

• Panasonic8x
    Panasonic8x Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓

To Mouchafeu: I have the same problem of you. But don't worry too much. It's not an error, everything work properly. It's you android version outdated. What u need to do, is wait a nofication to upgrade, after confirm the update about over 100mb, when u check update. It would tell "system up to date "

It is the first step to upgrade android 4.4 kitkst in the future.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Did you root your tablet?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • PabloEscobarPL
    PabloEscobarPL Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello,

I have the same problem - code 1004, and I didn't root my tablet.

What do I have to do to update my device?

• IronFly
    Can you both report the build number?

System settings/about phone/build number

Your wifi is under NAT or firewall?
  • PabloEscobarPL

Acer_AV052_A1-810_RV27RC03_WW_GEN1

Acer_AV052_A1-810_1.120.00_WW_GEN1

I think it's NAT, but i'm not 100% sure

• IronFly

If you arr under NAT, try to assign to the tablet IP a DMZ and check if it works.

If you have a smartphone with data connection you can try to create an hotspot and connect the tablet to it and check updates.

Your build version seems to be the latest build number but i can suggest you to try a factory reset and check again for updates.

Remember that you will loose your personal data with the factory reset (contacts,apps), but if you synced with google, you will re-sync it automatically.

System settings/backup&reset/factory data reset

• Mouchafeu

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply.

No! Tablet is not rooted.

Build number is

Acer_AV052_A3-A10_1.045.00_PA_CA

As for the WiFi being under NAT or Firewall, I do not know!

Can you be more specific as to where I should check?

Thanks for your time!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

If you have a router between the internet your ISP gives you (cable modem, dsl modem, etc.) and your computer you are almost certainly behind NAT (Network Address Translation). NAT is the stuff that allows you to have more than one device on the network even though your ISP only gives you one address. Normally you'll end up with an IP address like 192.168.1.100 if you are behind NAT.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PabloEscobarPL

Ok, I updated my tablet. But it's Still 4.2.2

When can I update to 4.4.2 ?

• IronFly

as far as i know this last update  was in preparation to 4.4 but still no ETA.

• Mouchafeu

Hi IronFly and billsey,

My tablet's IP address is 192.168.1.109 so I must be using NAT.

Your first suggestion was to assign a DMZ. can you refer me to instructions on how to do that?

Hi PabloEscobarPL,

You say you updated your tablet. Do you mean to say you did a factory reset? If you have, did you got rid of the 1004 error code? And if so, when you search for an android update, what message do you get?

Thanks everybody!

Mouchafeu

• IronFly

To assign a DMZ you must enter the setup page of your modem/router, you need to read the instruction of it or write here the model and we try to help you.

• Mouchafeu

Hi IronFly,

Thanks for the fast response.

I should have pointed out that I have 3 other similar devices that have no problem "Calling Home" to see if there are updates. They are: One BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, one Asus Nexus 7 (2012) tablet and one LG Optimus L7 cell phone.

Of course, the PlayBook does not use Android. Still, it and the other two have no problem connecting through the router and report wether the are updates or not...

Does that change in anyway your suggestion that I try that DMZ thing?

By the way, the router is a D-Link DIR-645.

I should also point out that, the device still being under warranty. This morning, I sent an E-mail to Acer Support. It will surely takes many days before they get back to me. If they do provide an answer, I'll report here as it might help others with the same problem. I'm tempted to think this problem might not be so uncommon.

I appreciate your help a great deal.

Thanks!

Mouchafeu

• IronFly

at this point i will try a factory reset and then check for the updates, without trying the DMZ thing.

• Panasonic8x
    Answer ✓

To Mouchafeu: I have the same problem of you. But don't worry too much. It's not an error, everything work properly. It's you android version outdated. What u need to do, is wait a nofication to upgrade, after confirm the update about over 100mb, when u check update. It would tell "system up to date "

It is the first step to upgrade android 4.4 kitkst in the future.

• IronFly

It can be, probably he has an old version of the Acer update service (that's used for the manual check), the automatic will works even under the error on the manual check.

there was a similar issue on a smartphone; you can try to reboot the tablet and see if any update notification will appear.

• Mouchafeu

Hi everyone,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I spent part of the week dealing with Acer Support. That wasn't very helpful. They did respond to my query and offered a couple of suggestions. They did not work so I E-mailed back. They responded by saying that they no longer offer E-mail support! That was within 24 hours of my first E-mail to them... Kinda bizarre!!!

Anyway, I should mention that I tried Factory Reset. That was first suggested by IronFly (and also by Acer Support in their first E-mail) but that did not help. I still get the dreaded 1004 error...

As mentioned previously by IronFly and Panasonic8x, it seems there are no updates available at this time (2014-07-19), so it's moot. I guess I'll keep my ear to the ground and wait for that elusive 4.4 Kitkat upgrade. I should end by saying that wether or not it comes isn't a big problem. This version (4.2.2) is just fine.

Thanks to all for your precious help.

Mouchafeu

• Panasonic8x

Don't worry, everything work properly but cannot check update. What you need now is relax and patience. Someday you will receive a notificatioon for update. In this case, you can't check update mannualy.

• skipi
    skipi Member Posts: 2 New User

Still no update here. dont understand... Keeps saying try again later error 1004...

Please help

• Mouchafeu

Hi everyone,

Earlier this week (2014-08-27ish), I got a message that there was an update available. It was about 168 MB. I installed it but the version remained the same. Then a second message. This one was, I think around 63 MB. I installed it also. Again, the version did not change. Then again a third and final message advizing to upgarde to Kitkat. I did!

Now the version stands at 4.4.2. Very happy about that!!! Again, Thanks to all who contributed.

By for now,

Mouchafeu

• saywot
    saywot Member Posts: 64 Troubleshooter

You didn't say how you overcame the "update service unavailable, please try again later" hurdle.

I've had it for a month and I'm not protected by Network Address Translation.