Acer Asprire 7750G back cover for 2nd HDD?

Options
wwagnerjr
wwagnerjr Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I tried to add an SSD to the 2nd open HDD bay, but the laptop back cover then didn't fit. Why would Acer have a 2nd HDD bay, but aback cover that doesn't fit it?

Does Acer sell a back cover for the 7750G-6645 that allows a 2nd HDD?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,585 Trailblazer
    Options

What are the dimensions of the SSD relative to your HDD?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wwagnerjr

Tinkerer

Options

I'm not exactly sure what difference that makes because the 2nd hdd space is on the other side opposite where the HDD is.  Still here are the dimensions of the SSD, 0.27 by 2.75 by 3.94 in. (H x W x D), which looks tiny compared to the HDD that came with the laptop.  If the SSD wasn't just 120gbs I'd just replace the HDD in the 1st bay, but the new SSD would barely hold what I have on the HDD and it would defeatthepurposeof me trying to separate OS and programs from the data and junk files.

I just don't understand how one of the selling points to the 7750g was the ability to down the line add a 2nd HDD onlyto find out that although it has an open HDD Bay it doesn't fit inside the back case.  What was the point of even having a 2nd slot if theback cover couldn't hold it?  This SSD is tiny compared to the HDDs and should have no problem fitting.

• JackE
    Options

Well, here's the cover door part no. for 2 HDDs. "60.RB002.007" Kinda expensive though ($50-100) since Acer maybe stopped making them or are on permanent backorder. Here's one place. http://www.notebookparts.com/acer-aspire-7560-hard-drive-cover-60-rb002-007-60rb002007/

Google the part no.  You may get a better ebay deal or even a Acer supplier.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wwagnerjr

Tinkerer

Options

THX!  Yeah I seen that and others from overseas that were cheaper, but who knows with the shipping costs or even if we can trust that they'll actuallys end the item.

I may just keep an eye out for 1 to popup on ebay or elsewhere that isn't quite as expensive. Paying what amounts to about 1/5th of what the laptop costs seems a bit ridiculous.

• JackE
    Options

After breaking plastic parts on my notebook covers & keyboard trying to shoe-horn stuff back in, I discovered the joys of the new designer-color duct tapes. If you don't look too close, you'd probably think they were factory-made pieces.  8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wwagnerjr

Tinkerer

Options

I decided to just return the120gb SSD and then buy the 240gb SSD and put it where my 1st HDD is currently housed. This way I don't have to spend nearly $100 for a new back cover and instead put that money towards more storage and it should end up giving me less headaches dealing with.

• JackE
    Options

Good move!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.