ACER Aspire V5 Touch Screen big problems

Options
mikeaa101
mikeaa101 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi all

I am hoping for some advice on this one

I purchase the above model in Decemeber 2012, I work in training and at the time was comissioned to develop some training manuals for Windows 8. I bught the above laptop with the touch screen to try to really enhance the Windows 8 experience and also to help develop the training manuals.

All was fine and I was very please with the machine. However in June 2013 the bag I was carrying the laptop in slipped off my shoulder and the result was a badly crack screen. I ocntact ACER support and the machine was returned to them to be assessed. After about a month I recieved a repair quotation which was signed and returned with the required time, I then expected to recieve the machine fully repaired within the 14 or so working day limit ACER had communicated. This however, was not the case.

To cut a long story short and many emails later, the upshot was the machine was with ACER for 8 months and returned to me unrepaired. ACER's official line, we no longer stock the part required to fix the problem. Now let me also state I was offered a replacement machine for the same cost as the repair, however this I declined seeing as the machine had been away for 6 months and I was feeling particualrly agrieved. Also I had data on my machine I want to preserve, something that was very difficult to do with a broken touch screen machine gunning mouse clicks everywhere.

So I have now got a machine I am unable to use and I cannot find a replacement touchscreen anywhere. I could simply purchase an LCD screen but really why should I downgrade seeing as I paid a premium in the first place to have the touch screen.

Anyone able to help source a replacement or have any other ideas

Thanks

Mike

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

What is your V5's model number & screen size?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mikeaa101
    Options

Aspire V5-571p

Model number MS2361

15.6" screen

Also I am in the UK not the US

Thanks

Mike

• JackE
    Options

Since the touch hardware is separate from the screen, you may want to follow the recommendations in this link http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Can-a-V5-571P-broken-screen-be-replaced-with-a-non-touch-screen/td-p/182139

UK Amazon has a number of inexpensive screens without the touch element for your model if you can match the screen numbers with whatever you have. 

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• mikeaa101
    Options

Thanks

I kinda figured that this would be the case.

Never having a touchscreen Laptop again more trouble than they are worth

Mike

• JackE
    Options

>>>more trouble than they are worth>>>

You mean they're actually worth something when you have also a mouse, a real keyboard, and yes even a worthless touchpad to work with? That's news to me, Mike! 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mikeaa101
    Options
    You mean they're actually worth something when you have also a mouse, a real keyboard, and yes even a worthless touchpad to work with? That's news to me, Mike! 8^)

isn't it just ; 0)
This discussion has been closed.