Disable Edge swipes on W3-810?

Options
EvoWing
EvoWing Member Posts: 3 New User

Is there anyway to totally disable all Edge Swipe gestures on the Iconia W3-810?

I have two of these to be used in an industrial environment and MUST be able to disable ALL the Edge Swipe features of Windows 8.1. Users must not be able to get to Charms, Desktop, or close the App.

The App is a custom written C# app that currently runs on many Windows XP and Windows 7 platforms. Unfortunately it cannot be made into a Windows Store app, so can't use the "Assigned Access" feature of Windows 8.1.

I've even tried using the Windows system property System.EdgeGesture.DisableTouchWhenFullscreen without any success.

Anybody any Ideas? Otherwise I'll have to put two "useless" Iconia's on eBaySmiley Sad

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

hi...

Here's the steps to disable Charms Bar in Windows 8.1 via Taskbar Properties

The Taskbar and Navigation Properties window is the quickest way to disable the Charms Bar.
    To do that, right-click Taskbar followed by clicking Properties in the context menu.
    Then click the Navigation tab.
    Now, under the Corner navigation section, simply uncheck ‘When I point to the upper-right corner, show the charms’ option and hit OK.

Here's the steps to disable Charms Bar in Windows 8.1 from Registry Editor
    First up, open Registry Editor by heading to Start Screen, typing regedit and pressing Enter on your keyboard
    Now navigate to the following registry key in Registry Editor:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>ImmersiveShell
    Now go to ImmersiveShell > New > Key from the context menu, and then name the new Key as EdgeUI.
    Right-click the EdgeUI key, point to New, DWORD (32-bit) Value and then name the new DWORD as DisableCharmsHint.
    Now double-click the newly created DWORD value, type 1 and click OK. You may also need to reboot Windows for the changes to come into effect.
    Once done, it will disable both the top-right and bottom-right hot corners that reveal the Charms Bar.
  • EvoWing
    Options

Hi Sharanji,

Many thanks for the reply, but it doesn't answer my problem....

it only disables mouse in the cornersSmiley Sad.

I need to stop the swipe from the right and from the top with the touch screen from opening theCharms bar and Closing the active app respectively.

I fear that this cannot be done in windows 8.0 or 8.1Smiley Frustrated.

• EvoWing
    Options

Is there anyway to resolve this?

I currently have two very expensive paper weights that I would much rather be using to track my workforce activities.

I will soon have to find a Windows 7 based tablet if this deficiency cannot be resolved (or a competitors Windows 8 tablet that does allow the edgeswipes to be disabled).

Rod.

This discussion has been closed.