Acer Iconia W510 not reporting time correctly

chadillac23
chadillac23 Member Posts: 2 New User

My new Acer Iconia W510 tablet had an incorrect clock right out of the box.  It was 8 hours behind (from eastern time in the US).  I tried to update it, uncheck the box marked update automatically for daylight savings time, manually change the time to Baghdad timezone (which is 8 hours ahead) and change it back.  Nothing I do can get the time to show properly besides setting the time to Baghdad timezone (which does not update automatically for DST).  Any help to figure out how to get the time to report properly would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Chad

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Are you synchronizing with a local NTP server ? Date & Time>Internet Time>Settings

• chadillac23
    chadillac23 Member Posts: 2 New User

Not using NTP, but I figured it out.  Perhaps a Windows 8 bug.  When I seet the time through the settings menu from the Metro start screen, despite using the eastern daylight timezone, it keeps setting the time 8 hours back.  When I go into the desktop, I can set the time to eastern time with adjustment for daylight savings.  However, the time is still incorrect.  I then update the time manually and it save both the ime zone with DST and the correct time.  Never had to do that on any machine... fairly certain this is not intended behavior.  Something for others to note.

• jdsealevel
    jdsealevel Member Posts: 1 New User

Click on computer management tile,

goto..... services & applications,

goto...services

Scroll to Windows time

Find startup set to automatic

click apply..then OK

Hope that helps

• brike2001
    brike2001 Member Posts: 1 New User

It is a bug, yes, but only the Iconia w510 has it. I never saw that on any machine. I have called acer a dozen times and they Lways give me the same explanation. bs. only bs. it is a problem with the machine itself. maybe bad bios (Efi).

• Probably a red herring but I would check that the BIOS date and time are correct.

• Gryfox
    Gryfox Member Posts: 1 New User

If you haven't found a solution by now, try the fix Microsoft finally came up with for Windows 8.1

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43515

This discussion has been closed.