Acer Aspire 7741G

Options
thomgier
thomgier Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi everyone Smiley Happy

So I have an Aspire 7741G, witch i got from my father after he died.

He always had problems with it, it overheated, froze up and ran slow, he even had it in for service, but they didnt manage to fix it.

I should mention i live in Norway.

So after I got the laptop, first thing I did was reinstall it(ctrl+alt+F10), that didnt help with the performance though.

Next thing, I opened it up, and found that the fan wasnt connected, reconnected the fan and it was working for the first time since it ledt the store. I was happy, but it didnt lst long my happiness. the video card was constantly freezing up, stopping and i got errors on it. So i reinstalled the whole thing with a blank windows 7 install, and then upgraded all the drivers by hand. all was good but video card still freezing up and stalling the laptop. Since i already had all the newest drivers for the thing, i tried rolling back the drivers, still the same problem. I opened it up again, and looked for the video card, before i got this pc from my dad, i had an aspire 6930 with nvidea card in it, not the integrated type, witch is in my 7741G. Anyway, inside this one i found the videocard is soldered onto the motherboard, so if i want to change it or it is bad i have to switch the motherboard.

Now for my reason to post this, does anyone here have a good fix for my problem with the video card? or should i just order a new motherboard with new video card on it?

Will it work to flash new bios?

Maybe some specs for the laptop will help:

Acer Aspire 7741G

Intel Icore i3-380 2,53 Ghz(upgraded to i5-480 2,67 Ghz)

4 GB DDR3 memory

AMD Radeon HD 6370M video card

17,3" HD+ LED LCD

I also have problems with the wifi card, it can detect and connect to my network but it won't go on the internet, just says no internet.

So if anyone cn help it would be much appriciated.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,138 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello thomas,

As the ventilator was disconnected, it is better to change the motherboard (refurnished). Many components have overheated.

You'll find bellow the part numbers of motherbord:

MB.PT101.001MAIN BD.HM55.DDR3.WO/CPU/3G
    MB.PT401.001MAIN BD.DIS.HM55.DDR3800.LF
    MB.R9601.001MAIN BD.ROBSON.HM55.WO/3G
    MB.RCB01.001MAIN BD.CAPILANO.HM55.WO/3G
    MB.RCC01.001MAIN BD.HM55.WO/3G
    France

Answers

• laurent_14
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello thomas,

As the ventilator was disconnected, it is better to change the motherboard (refurnished). Many components have overheated.

You'll find bellow the part numbers of motherbord:

MB.PT101.001MAIN BD.HM55.DDR3.WO/CPU/3G
    MB.PT401.001MAIN BD.DIS.HM55.DDR3800.LF
    MB.R9601.001MAIN BD.ROBSON.HM55.WO/3G
    MB.RCB01.001MAIN BD.CAPILANO.HM55.WO/3G
    MB.RCC01.001MAIN BD.HM55.WO/3G
    France
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,686 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello Thomas:

Does Device Mgr show problems with any of the devices?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• thomgier
    Options

Hi laurent_14, thanks for reply.

I had come to the same conclusion as you did, since it had been so warm over so long period of time, a couple of years, i more or less realized that the motherboard has been overheated, i think that is what has happened with my wifi card to.

Thanks for the modelnumbers to, i have found a new motherboard and will order this soon.

Ragards 

Thomas

• thomgier
    Options

Hi JackE.

Device mgr is, and was not showing anything faulty with the video card, but it did show fault with the Lan, but that was resolved with a driver update.

Thank you for reply.

Ragards

Thomas

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello thomas,

I think it's better to test the HDD. Seatools works with any brands.

Perhaps you can see the "Worst Temp":

The "Worst Temp" refers to the highest temp that the drive has ever experienced in its lifetime.

Seatools tutorial: Here

Tools and file:

1- Download the file Seatools for dos version V1.12 (Text) - ISO CD-ROM IMAGE: SeaToolsDOS112.ISO

2- Download ISO Toolkit (portable version - no install): ISOToolkit.zip

3- Download Win32 Disk Imager (portable version - no install): Win32 Disk Imager

Procedure:

1- Format your USB key with the Windows Disk Manager in FAT32.

2- Execute ISO Toolkit --> Extract image tab, you extract SeaToolsDOS112.ISO in a folder.

3- In this folder, rename SeaTools.ima --> SeaTools.img

4- Execute Win32 Disk Imager, write Image File: SeaTools.img (new one) on your usb key.

Normally, you'll find these files and folder on your USB key:

Image-1.jpg

5- Boot on your USB key

6- Make Short (touch S) and Long (touche L) test only.

7- To quit the program CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot.

There is an other diagnostic tools for:

• Western Digital: Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (works with WD HDD only)
    France
  • thomgier
    Options

Hi Laurent_14.

Thanks for info.

I have tried 4 different hdd in this laptop, including a brand new ssd, same problem everytime, so i dont think its the hdd thats the problem.

I have been looking around for a new motherboard, and i have tried to find the part number on my existing board but i can't seem to find it anywhere.

Looking at the part numbers you postet before, i would like to find the rigth one.

• JackE
    Options

http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=159515&gclid=CIHyi_ehx70CFYuXOgodvDAA7A

Considering the potential damaging conditions other hardware parts of this system might've also been exposed to,  have you considered getting another machine of comparable power and save the data and hardware from the old system?  I only mention this because replacing the motherboard may not be the only piece of hardware needed to get this system in proper working condition.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

I'm researching... it's not easy!

France
  • laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

You'll find the part number here:

Image-1.jpg

France
  • thomgier
    Options

I have and are still considering buying a brand new machine.

Have tried to find a motherboard to replace the one i have, and i want it to be the same type with video card.

Finally found the part number on my motherboard, and just my luck, everywhere i look it costs the same as a new computer.

perhaps i just buy a new one...

The computer is working, its just that if i install the videocard driver it crashes, hoped it was a quick fix with some kind of software or something, but apparantly im not so luckySmiley Sad

Anyway, thanks for all your help guys, really appriciate it.

• JackE
    Options

Hmm? The motherboard on the link at the top my last post was only $110. Can you get a new computer for $110? Where can I buy one? 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• thomgier
    Options

I cant get a brand new computer for 110 $ but thats not the board thats in my computer either.

The modelnumber on my board is MB.R9601.001.

As far as i have found out the card with modelnr: MB.PT401.001 is first generation, looks the same and it fits but its not the exact same card. I'm sure it will work just fine, but it is a downgrade from what i have since it does not have a videocard on it. If you look at the pic in your link, look to the left of the processor socket, and then up an inch, there you wil find an open, empty space. If you then compare to the MB.R9601.001, you will see that there are something there, that something is what im looking for.thats the videocard, thats the Radeon 6370m chipset.

Thanks anyway.

• JackE
    Options

A separate video card in the first generation board seems like a plus to me as it allows you to upgrade and replace. Integrated cards in later generations usually are mainly done to save costs, not necessarily improvements. At any rate, for another $100 or so you can get a much better video card than the one in the integrated board --- still less than a new computer I think. However, I still think a new computer is probably the more practical thing to do at this point, considering what the old one has been through.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.