How to find out e-Recovery password?

Options
Kbhandari705
Kbhandari705 Member Posts: 15 New User

So I have an old Aspire 5920G which I am trying to sell/recycle but when I go into e-Recovery Management it asks me for a password. I musy have changed it many years ago because 000000 does not work and the hint says "nickname" which isn't very helpful because my nicknames have changed over the years. As I cannot remember it, is there a way of finding out what this password is?

Best Answer

• JoeGons
    JoeGons Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Not sure but I think you might need to run it as "Administrator" in Vista.

I know it works with XP.

I hope someone can add to this.

Joe

Answers

• JoeGons

Tinkerer

Options

This is what I did with XP.

Download "Part Edit. (Partition Editor)

PTEDIT32.EXE
    It works well with XP and it should work with Vista.
    The Backup is on a hidden partition.
    Mine is called PQSERVICE
    It is type 12 and you need to change it to type 7 in order to see the files. You can put it back after.
    Look carefully at all the settings on the first partition.
    If you highlight the type and look at the bottom, you will see the option to change type.

Look for a file called aimdrs.dat.
    Open it with Notepad. It will show the passwore and hint.

Hope this helps.

Joe

• Kbhandari705
    Options

Hmm I want to try that but annoyingly my laptop cannot connect to the internet at the moment to download the software. The network connection icon in the taskbar is greyed out and it says "the dependency service or group failed to start". I have tried running Windows diagnostics on it but none of the solutions (including plugging in an ethernet cable) are working. Also Acer Empowering Technology keeps on crashing every time I load it up with the following message: "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is avaialble".

• JoeGons

Tinkerer

Options

Get it on a flash drive using another computer.

• Kbhandari705
    Options

How would that work exactly? On my new laptop the password will be different.

• Kbhandari705
    Options

Oh scratch that I understand what you were saying now. I'll try downloading it to a flash drive and see if I can get it to work. Is there a particular website I can download this software from?

• JoeGons

Tinkerer

Options
  • Kbhandari705
    Options

Ok I just tried the ptedit.exe file on my Vista laptop and I got the following message:

"An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Choose "close" to terminate the application". If I choose "Ignore" I am just left with the Command Window and cannot type anything in.

• JoeGons

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Not sure but I think you might need to run it as "Administrator" in Vista.

I know it works with XP.

I hope someone can add to this.

Joe

• Kbhandari705
    Options

No need, I ran it as Administrator, it worked and I managed to retrieve the password so I have now managed to reset my laptop. Thank you so much for your help!

• JoeGons

Tinkerer

Options

Glad I could help.

Joe

This discussion has been closed.