Iconia W4 - Charging whilst using USB devices

Options
2»

Answers

• scosgt
    scosgt Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

ordered one too. I will report back on whether it works with the Nxus 7 (2013).

Now one thing about the Acer - it is NOT an OTG port, it is a straight up USB port, as I posted previosuly you can plug in a USB hub directly.

Therefore, a device made to power an OTG port may very well not work.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

"Lenovo Miix 8 has GPS. It is basically useless" - been through this often but not recently. Most good tabs (like the WT8) have the Broadcom GNSS which provides a data stream to the Windows Locator Service.

OTOH major programs like Microsoft's Streets and Trips or Delorme's Street Atlas expect a NMEA formatted data stream usually from a pseudo com port. Windows does not provide this and as a result even though many Windows tabs (e.g. WT8-A32) have the chip, few programs can use it (a few free GPS programs from the play store can as can the Microsoft sensor diagnostics program). What were they thinking ?

What is needed and works very well is a shim to conver the Broadom data stream to NMEA. The one I have found that works (not free but has a free trial) is Localizer from Centrafuse.

Note: this is attributed to a Windows issue and has been one since the Localizer Service was released. (see MS forums)

• Plastixx
    Plastixx Member Posts: 66 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

GpsGate Client might also work, but it's even more expensive than the one you mentioned.

• scosgt
    scosgt Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

I tried them, they are very unreliable.

If you really need GPS on a tablet (I use my Galaxy S5 phone) get an android tablet. It works great on them, Nexus 7 (2013) is the best 7" tab you can buy, I have two of them. It is butter smooth and everything works, just don't up it to Android 5.

The best GPS I use is WAZE. It navitgates AND doe traffic. So that is a big point, if you want TRAFFIC in real time, you need a data connection. My Nexus 7 has that, but the Win 8 tablets do not. So you can either do hotspot from your phone, or just use the phone.

Maybe he needs GPS in a tablet for some special purpose, I don't know.

The Winbook 10.1" is just so superior to the Acer, Lenovo and Dell, all of which I have. Wish it could use the Dell stylus, that makes life easier on the Dell because everything is so darn small, but with a full time USB port a mouse is not an issue anyway, and indeed everything is larger and easier to use on the Winbook.