2nd hdd tray for "acer aspire v3-771g"?

Options
muppen
muppen Member Posts: 2 New User

hi

i have bought a "acer aspire v3-771g" and after finding out about how the v3-771g have a extra bay for HDDs. i bought a intel SSD...

i want to run windows from the SSD but when i open up the back of my acer laptop.... there were no extra tray to hold the 2.5" SDD in place. so now i am wondering... where can i buy one of those trays that will fit my acer aspire v3-771g?

please help me

Answers

• rotll
    rotll Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the link.  I am considering this laptop as well, the second HDD bay being one of the reasons.  In addition to the caddy, does the HDD need an adaptor to connect, or does it slide into place without the need for an adaptor?  I would imagine that both HDDs would connect in the same fashion, so if the original needs an adaptor, so will the secondary drive.

Also, can anyone point me to a link for the manual for this computer?

Thanks in advance.

• neilisme
    neilisme Member Posts: 28 New User
    Options

No other adapters are necessary, although they dont package the bracket with the necessary screws to hold it onto the hard drive. you'd think that for $20 they would include them!!!

• jennifer8
    jennifer8 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

You can find info on how to retrieve user guide here:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44/p/2071%2C2813%2C6105

Where can the User's Guide be located?

Where can the User's Guide be located?

For computers that shipped with Windows 8

1. Press Windows (Image: icon_Windows8_key.png) key + Q
    2. Enter Acer in the search box
    3. Click on Acer User Manual or Acer Quick Guide

For computers that shipped with Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7

The User's Guide for your computer may be located on the computer itself:

1. Click on Start
    2. Click on All Programs
    3. Click on Acer System or Acer Documentation
  • muppen
    muppen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

i think its possible to just use "universal" hdd/ssd screws (the holes on the side ect should be the same size and last time i checked.... there's some space between the lid you remove to get to the hdd bay(s). should work with diffrent screw. i am getting my 19$ screw-free piece next week.... will let you know how it goes. (will also check with local acer resellers if they have any "spare screws" i can buy)

and just like the answer before mine... you don't need adapters. just slide it into place and it should be fine, as long as you removed both the ac-cord and the battery before opening your v3-771g up. might add a youtube video as well Smiley Happy

• JoeBlack
    JoeBlack Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Is there any chance to get the second
    Acer Aspire V3-771G HDD CoverBracket in the UK?

Ordering from the US, Canada and continental Europe
    doubles the price due to shipping costs etc. and
    then the fitting screws might not even be included...

• lord_dev
    lord_dev Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, does anyone know where I can get one of these from the UK. All the V3-771g's are selling for £25 on ebay, i'm not paying £25 for a freaking caddy!

JoeBlack... did you get one eventually?

Thanks

• abspoel
    abspoel Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

Before buying anything, have a good look under the cover!  I formatted the HD and installed Linux, which works fine.  Today I happened to have a look at Linux' disk tool.  That revealed that my V3-771G has in fact a small (4 g.) SSD disk besides the 500 giga HD!  Just clicking on 'computer' did not reveal the existence of that SSD.  I have not opened the back of my laptop yet, but obviously that small SSD has to be somewhere.  I also do not know what Acer has used that SSD for and whether I can safely format it and place the Linux system files on it for a super-fast boot.  Anyone who knows about that?

• abspoel
    Options

Digging deeper, I see that the SSD is marked as "swap".  So it should be safe to format it...

• abspoel
    Options

I was told that the small SSD is meant for Fast Boot.  Whether replacing Windows with Linux has an effect on that, I do not know.  I am not going to take risks without some more information about whether it is okay to use the SSD under Linux.  I now also know that the SSD is a SCSI disk.  So, in case you would consider replacing it with a larger SSD, take that into account!  

• pchatala
    pchatala Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Hi - Did you get a chance to post the SSD installation on youtube.

• abspoel
    Options

pchatala wrote:

Hi - Did you get a chance to post the SSD installation on youtube.

Hi pchatala,  Good idea.  However, since I don't want to take a risk and reformat the small SSD without more info, I have not done so.  Let me know if you do take the plunge and how it works out for you!

• LeoScott
    LeoScott Member Posts: 24 New User
    Options

Loooking inside the cover there is a slot for a mSATA device, which I suspect on some V3-771G models is populated with a ssd cache card which the H77 bios should automatically use cache the hdd.  My model V3-771G-9441 did not come with a card in the slot.  I am debating whether to buy a mSATA card, 128 or 256 gig, and just let it cache the existing hard drive or put a SSD in it and use the hard drive for data.  You can also upgrade the memory as there are 4 slots of which only 2 are usually populated.  Already upgraded mine to 16gig.

• EsoxLucius
    EsoxLucius Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I bought an OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD and a caddy/bracket from Zand Parts in Germany, also some laptop screws from Amazon. The caddy is an original Acer part. Now, the laptop boots up with blistering speed. Well worth the trouble!

• abspoel
    Options

Hi! 

That is encouraging!  You obviously added a bracket.  Did your laptop have the small SSD like I have? What OS did you use?

• EsoxLucius
    Options

No, the laptop came with a Toshiba 1TB mechanical HDD. I added the OCZ Vertex SSD after reading an article. The OS is the original Windows 8 64 bit that came with the laptop. All I did after installing the SSD was to use a free OS migration program and moved the OS onto the SSD. All very simple and painless. The Toshiba HDD is now a storage drive.

• abspoel
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Ryancampbellium
    Ryancampbellium Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I would advise adding the msata drive...they are smaller, less power hungry & blazing fast.

Plus if you boot off it (Change the BIOS settings), that leaves both HDD slots open for either SSD or stadard spinning HDD at 5400/7200/10k whatever you like...up to ~2TB if you like..

My personal setup is:

Boot: MSATA 240G

Primary slot: SSD 256 G

2nd slot: 1TB 7200 HDD

And I ditched Win 8 as well...

• Ryancampbellium
    Ryancampbellium Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Curious what OS migration prog you used...I've tried a few & most have not been pleasant.

Leading me to claen reinstalls & then a week of driver hunting Smiley Frustrated

• EsoxLucius
    Options

I used EaseUS ToDo Backup Free 5.8. I also used it again on my desktop PC when I installed a Samsung 240GB SSD, even though it came with a Samsung Migration CD-Rom.

This discussion has been closed.