Pre sales Support - getting answer to technical questions about products ...

Options
goink
goink Member Posts: 10 New User

I'm having trouble getting pre-sales support, namely, getting specific answers to questions concerning technical specifications for Aspire V3 variants. The Resellers I've contacted don't seem to have enough experience with the products or adequate information themselves and direct me to the Acer website. The product information on the website is not detailed anough to provide the answers I need.

When I call Acer, all options seem to be tailored to post-sales support and there is no option to talk to a product expert unless one has already purchased and has an SNID.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

Could you list your questions?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• goink
    Options

Hi Jack,

Thanks for responding.

I'd like to confirm wheter or not the V3-772G line (i7 CPU w. 17.3" LCD) (or which specific model variants therein) include support for 02 2.5" form factor HHDs/SSDs (2 drive bays) and mSATA SSD (slot) concurrently, and whether or not this is limited by the hardware architecture of specific variants/models or BIOS versions supported by specific variants/models.

The models I'm considering, so far:

MfgPartNo: NX.M74AA.002 V3-772G-9829

MfgPartNo: NX.M74AA.009 V3-772G-9808

MfgPartNo: NX.M8SAA.002 V3-772G-9643
    MfgPartNo: NX.M8SAA.004 V3-772G-9460

Additionally, I'd like to know if models including Broadcom 4352 (IEEE 802.11ac) are backwards compatibe with WAP/router devices compliant with IEEE Draft 802.11n v2.0, 802.11g, 802.11b, 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3ab.

Again, thanks for responding!

• JackE
    Options

Looks to me like they all have 2 sata and 1 msata capability. The 9460 apparently comes with an 120gb SSD already installed. The bm4352 also seems backward compatible with legacy n, etc networks. Also looks like a lotta people are impressed by the performance/price ratio of these machines. Hmmm...maybe I should get one?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• goink
    Options

Thanks, Jack! Do you work for Acer?

Is your comment a confirmation that all the Aspire V3-772G series varients can use 2 HDDs/SSDs and 01 mSATA SSD concurrently, i.e. that the BIOS supports this storage configuration on all the i7/17.3 varients/models?

Indeed, I am impressed by the build quality and configurability of these units providing the storage devices can be configured/supported as hoped ...

• JackE
    Options

No.

Since the mini slot is hosted by SATA controller, it probably has some limitations. Maybe similar to those of a logical drive or an extended partition. I could be wrong on this, and maybe one of the Acer or Ace folks will soundly denounce me and enlighten us both, but I don't think the bios can currently allow a mini slot bootup with a SATA drive also attached to its host controller. Maybe this wouldn't be a problem for you anyway.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• goink
    Options

Again, I appreciate your assistance is trying to find a complete answer.

>>I don't think the bios can currently allow a mini slot bootup with a SATA drive also attached to its host controller<<

This is why I'm looking for a definitive answer. What configurations of  internal storage devices are the V3-772G models/varients and the BIOS capable of hosting and what can be used as a boot device under what circumstances.

To make it simple,

1. What other internal storage devices can be added and accessible assuming an mSATA is attached?

1. What other internal storage devices can be added and accessible assuming an 2.5" HDD is attached?

3. What other internal storage devices can be added and accessible if a 2.5" SSD is attached.

If the system has only one controller capable of supporting two devices, what two devices can be combined and which one can it boot from? Does it depend which slot/bay it is in? Something else?

When various sencondary or tertiary storage devices are added (internally), given the above, which ones can the system boot from?

From my perspective, this information is fundamental and Acer should be providing as part of a complete specification, so potential buyers can make informed choices. It's as basic as how much RAM is supported. Not everyone is going to opt for the fully poplated and configured model but will want to know what upgrade options and configurations are supported for a future upgrade.

There is no support documentation I can find to clarify the supported storage configuration and boot options.

So, despite your most excellent replies (and I mean it, sincerely :-)!), I'm still looking for more, here ...

• goink
    Options

If the answer is 3 connectors but only two devices allowed, I'd still like to know what combination of devices and which it can boot from.

• JackE
    Options

From what I've been able to decipher, you can run and access 2 SATA  drives and 1  mini drive all at the same time. Either of the 2 SATA drives can be made first in the boot order. But the mini drive cannot be made first--- not with all 3 connected anyway. So 3 connectors and 3 devices allowed. But with all 3 connected, only assume that the 2 SATA drives can be made first in the boot order.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• goink
    Options

OK. That seems to make sense to me, thought it makes no sense to me why the mSATA cannot be the boot device.

So I should be able to host both 01 SATA SSD and 01 SATA HDD and be able to boot from the SATA SSD regardless of which bay it is located in?

• goink
    Options

I would really like to know with 02 internal sotrage device, 01 being mSATA, if it can be made the boot device, etc.

You've been extremely helpful!!!

Kind of crazy that this knowledge isn't readily available in standard documentation, IMO ...

And I do wish Acer would chime in to confirm (though everything you have offered makes sense ...)

Again, thanks!

• JackE
    Options

As I understand it, doesn't matter which SATA bay a SATA drive is in. The bios boot settings menu should correctly identify and distinguish between the HDD and SSD SATA drives as well as allow changing their relative boot priority. As implied before, the mini slot drive is really secondary to a SATA drive as far as the SATA controller is concerned. So, unless the SATA drives are missing or somehow hidden, the mini slot drive probably can't be made a boot drive. I'll see if I can get a knowledgeable Acer Ace involved in this thread. Sit tight. 8^) 

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

The V3-772G shows support for 2 SATA HDDs and 1 SATA ODD. It also shows support for mSATA on a Sata 3.0 connection.

We have models such as the V3-772G-9640 that ship with the mSATA and a HDD. The mSATA drive is used for OS and quicker boot times.

Unfortunately, I can't specifically answer if you would be able to use both sata HDDs and the mSATA at the same time. We have only configured and shipped with product using 1 or a combination of 2 of the 3 ports. It is also possible that the connection from the HDD or mSATA bay may not be connected to the motherboard unless it was originally configured to be in use. Finally, items such as the HDD brackets and screws to mount an mSATA drive are not included unless the system originally ships with those compenents in place.

I took a few pictures of a V3-772G to show the configuration of HDD and mSATA area underneath the back panel.

http://imgur.com/a/xob3m#0

• JackE
    Options

goink

You might wanna check this out. It seems to relate somewhat to the stuff you wanted to do.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Aspire-R7-572-Teardown/m-p/217869#U217869

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.