SSD in acer aspire m5811

Options
wabodabo
wabodabo Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello community,

I recently bought a SSD for my PC (an aspire M5811), because I wanted my computer to become faster. This was also a good moment in my opinion to reinstall Windows. So I installed the SSD and i can see it on my computer, but when i put in the recovery disk I made when i first got the computer, I can't choose my SSD to install Windows on. Is this possible with the recovery disks, or do i need a clean windows CD.

I've been searching for this problem the whole day and can't seem to find a fix for it.

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

EDIT: I also changed my graphics card to a GTX560 a while ago. It works fine, no problems at all.

Best Answer

• Joshua188
    Joshua188 Member Posts: 523 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

The OS install is simple -- just have only the SSD plugged in when you do it. After the OS is completely installed, do a shutdown and connect the platter drive.

To have all of your data and documents on the platter drive:
    Open up your C: drive, and navigate to the Users\YourUserName folder. Copy down all of the folder names.
    Open up your platter drive (E: on my system) and create a Users folder. Then create a YourUserName folder within that. Then create all of the folders you copied down within the YourUserName folder. Close out of everything.
    Open up your C: drive again and navigate back to Users\YourUserName. Right-click on the first folder in there and choose Properties. Click the Location tab and click Move. Browse to the first folder you created on the platter drive (likely E:\Users\YourUserName\Contacts) and click Select Folder. Answer Yes.
    Do that for all of the folders (C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents to E:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents, etc.). Now all of your documents and downloads will automatically save to the platter drive.

You will have to manually select the platter drive as the install directory (I use E:\Programs\ProgramName) for each program you install when you install it.

Answers

• Joshua188
    Joshua188 Member Posts: 523 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

The OS install is simple -- just have only the SSD plugged in when you do it. After the OS is completely installed, do a shutdown and connect the platter drive.

To have all of your data and documents on the platter drive:
    Open up your C: drive, and navigate to the Users\YourUserName folder. Copy down all of the folder names.
    Open up your platter drive (E: on my system) and create a Users folder. Then create a YourUserName folder within that. Then create all of the folders you copied down within the YourUserName folder. Close out of everything.
    Open up your C: drive again and navigate back to Users\YourUserName. Right-click on the first folder in there and choose Properties. Click the Location tab and click Move. Browse to the first folder you created on the platter drive (likely E:\Users\YourUserName\Contacts) and click Select Folder. Answer Yes.
    Do that for all of the folders (C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents to E:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents, etc.). Now all of your documents and downloads will automatically save to the platter drive.

You will have to manually select the platter drive as the install directory (I use E:\Programs\ProgramName) for each program you install when you install it.

• wabodabo
    wabodabo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you very much, I'll try this right now!

This discussion has been closed.