Acer iconia tab A500 KitKat update

Options
Happy_Camper
Happy_Camper Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

A Kit Kat 4.4 update would help revive this tablet from its outdated state. The A500 is a reliable, cheap and effective device top of the market in its time. A device which many still trust to this day a software update would be awesome! It will add better compatibility with apps and even the greatest new android features such as screenshot, improved performance, emoji support in the native keyboard, Android device manager, full screen features as well as new and improved notifications window. Please consider a software update for our awesome dinosaur as it is an amazing device getting left behind with lots of app incompatibility issues making it inconveniant. Let's make this seen guys!!!

Answers

• ronel
    ronel Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have jelly bean and need kit kat. I can no longer read all of The Times as they have not written their changes for the A500. Will Acer EVER release Kit Kat for the A500? Its most frustrating at present.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

The A500 is no longer receiving OS updates. I apologize for the frustration, I just want to help make sure expectations are known.

• ronel
    ronel Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I think this is a disgraceful way to run a business and fraudulent. I think that Acer should offer to buy back all A500's from users who have ourchased what is now an oudated item due to Acers unwillingness to support their customers.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

My phone got an upgrade from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jellybean when it was about a year old. When Kitkat was first announced they immediately said they wouldn't be porting it to my phone. Why do you think tablets should be any different from phones? Android evolves to follow the hardware, so most new Android releases are on new hardware and the old hardware is supposed to be discarded in favor of the new... Even Windows follows that path, albeit at a much slower pace. The vintage 2006 server I use as my workstation at one of my customers is running Windows 8 (originally Server 2003) now but will never be upgraded. It's not campatible with the requirements for Windows 8.1.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mikenlv
    mikenlv Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

How do i get the updates for my A500 i can not download any thing i want for it. I have a couple of things i need to do with it and i cant can you help me in this project?

• mikenlv
    mikenlv Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

i can plug it into my laptop if need be to do any work from your end. I am the second owner of this tablet i got it from my best friend and was using it for over a year and had no problems at all, we move to Las Vegas and now i cant load my Nav program or any games that i want to play. i am not that savy with computers so i will need step by step instructions to set it up right.

Pleas help a customer.....

Mike

[edited for privacy]

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Mike, do you get error messages when you open the Play Store app?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • vlbrown
    vlbrown Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Acer-Cory  - Are you missing the point of this conversation on purpose?

We _know_ there are no planned updates. We WANT THIS TO CHANGE.

• pduffer
    pduffer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    What was the last version released for the A500? I have 4.03. Is there a newer version than that available?
  • gaurang_talati
    gaurang_talati Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

guys .. does the step given in this page will gonna work??

http://www.iiphone.hol.es/upgradeupdate-rom-acer-iconia-a500-to-4-4-kitkat-new-update/

plz give me some ideas or suggesitons 

i have just got from my borther who was using before.. 

it has been upgraded to 4.0.3

Even if it can upgrade to jelly bean then also i  m ok with it..

• rocar01
    rocar01 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

My expectation is that after spending 500 dollars on the newset, latest tablet ( I bought new) they would continue updates beyond 18 months. Is that what we can expect for any acer product? because if that is the case tehn Samsung and Apple provide better support.

• rodimusprimus
    rodimusprimus Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

So the tablet isn't getting the update unless we do it ourselves and risk the brink?  I hate to say it but windows is more reliable with offering updates to tech then you guys.  This is the last ACER product I will buy.

• crheadog
    crheadog Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I bought 2 of these A500 tablets for Xmas a couple years ago. They are a great product and take a beating. But I will not go down this road again. One comment from a person compared this to a phone. While I realise it uses a phone operating system it is not normaly used every day as much as a phone is. It is used in my house as a laptop is used. I get at least 3 years out of a laptop, sometime as much as 5. (I do my homework and buy good products) I get 2 years out of a phone Max. All manufactures of Droid and Apple products are ripping people off and playing this, "we dont support you anymore game" As long as we buy these products, we support this behavior people! While Microsoft attempts to do the same we all know if you have a laptop with Vista on it, it still works fine for most applications. I happen to have a laptop with Vista and I can tell very little difference in speed compared to my new one while streaming and surfing. even though they don't support you it is forgiving and there are still options. (there is a difference but it is very minimal at best) point is, this trend only continues if we keep paying them to rip us off! 

• dnfzed
    dnfzed Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Good day!

Sir I would like to ask for your assistance, currently I have acer a500 which is still running Android V3.2.1 HoneyComb,

I would like to ask on how or what should I do to update it even just up to v4.0 IceCream Sandwich? 

I did plenty of attempts to update it by myself, but unfortunately Im not successful, below are the methods I did.

1st, Hard Reset then use the system update. Settings>About Tablet>System Update> Check Now. A message appears and say "Network coverage is currently poor. Please move to a location with better coverage to continue" so I go to my router and have a very excellent signal, still it doesnt work/update.

2nd, download zip files from acer community for my device, Acer A500, running on Android v3.2 HoneyComb, unzipped the files but it cannot be installed. 

I hope you can help me.

Thank you and have a great day!

Regards,

Michael

• rcharrington
    rcharrington Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I guess the "network overage is poor..." message is a "feature" to con the unsuspecting customers who don't know much about networks and computers. 

I get the same message even though I am 2 ft away from the hub and have a 100Mb fibre connection to the internet!

Come on Acer, wake up and smell the coffee, you are losing potential customers here!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

"network coverage is poor..."

is just a message that the old Acer FOTA servers are out of service, this was written many times on this community board.

This servers are definetively shutted down, so the only way to check for updates is here:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/3851;-;A500

but there will be any official kitkat update for A500-A700 devices.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • rcharrington
    rcharrington Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi IronFly

Sorry to hear that you are unemployed...at least you are making yourself useful. Good luck.

Thanks for the info on the error message.

I actually already found and installed the updates successfully, so am now on 4.0.

All the best.

• yishay
    yishay Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I am with Lollipop 5.02 on my A500.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    @yishay: me too on my A701 but not official.
    Those are custon roms and can't be discussed here, also the main problem of this roms are the old kernel available from Acer....so you can have an updated OS but with very old hardware interfaces ("drivers").
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • yishay
    yishay Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I didn't start discussion, just stated a fact; btw the kernel is 3.8.13.28 (don't know if old or new).