upgrade A210 to Jelly Bean

Options
Martinez
Martinez Member Posts: 3 New User

Just received an Acer Iconia Tab A210. I am computer savy but new to android. Can I safely use the A210 Jelly Bean ROM Flash provided on the Acer support website to upgrade my current Ice Cream Sandwich variant to Jelly Bean?  Thanks.

Best Answer

• Martinez
    Answer ✓
    Options

Many months after asking my question I discovered how to effectuate the OS upgrade I wanted, so I posted what I learned as a response to my own question to help others.

Go to Acer's website and follow the links to Support and download drivers.  I selected "tablet" then "Iconia A" then "A210" then select the operating system you want (not the one you have).  In this case I selected Android 4.1.  Select OS further down and you will have a file to download.  After downloading, using "ES File Explorer" I simply copied the downloaded file, as is, to the root of the external_sdcard (this needs to be purchased separately and just follow the instructions as it is easy to insert).

Then simply follow the instructions provided within Acer's file description.  The instructions indicate "OS of A210 with Android 4.1" but they should probably read "To upgrade your A210 OS from Android 4.0 to Android 4.1 using the OS update zip file download" follow the upgrade steps below:

1. After downloading OS from Acer Website, please put update.zip (actual OS update zip file download has name which is much longer) in micro SD card.

The method to launch the boot menu:
    1. Keep device at landscape mode, volume key on top side
    2. Press & hold volume down and power buttons to power on the device.
    3. When device vibrate, release power button and keep holding volume down button.
    4. When device vibrate, release volume down button then press and hold volume up button.

Booting recovery kernel:

5. When “Booting recovery kernel image“ is showed on the screen, release volume up button.
    6. Use volume switch to select "apply update from external storage", then click "power key" to execute.
    7. Choose update.zip.
    8. After upgrade complete, choose reboot system.

Answers

• Martinez
    Answer ✓
    Options

Many months after asking my question I discovered how to effectuate the OS upgrade I wanted, so I posted what I learned as a response to my own question to help others.

Go to Acer's website and follow the links to Support and download drivers.  I selected "tablet" then "Iconia A" then "A210" then select the operating system you want (not the one you have).  In this case I selected Android 4.1.  Select OS further down and you will have a file to download.  After downloading, using "ES File Explorer" I simply copied the downloaded file, as is, to the root of the external_sdcard (this needs to be purchased separately and just follow the instructions as it is easy to insert).

Then simply follow the instructions provided within Acer's file description.  The instructions indicate "OS of A210 with Android 4.1" but they should probably read "To upgrade your A210 OS from Android 4.0 to Android 4.1 using the OS update zip file download" follow the upgrade steps below:

1. After downloading OS from Acer Website, please put update.zip (actual OS update zip file download has name which is much longer) in micro SD card.

The method to launch the boot menu:
    1. Keep device at landscape mode, volume key on top side
    2. Press & hold volume down and power buttons to power on the device.
    3. When device vibrate, release power button and keep holding volume down button.
    4. When device vibrate, release volume down button then press and hold volume up button.

Booting recovery kernel:

5. When “Booting recovery kernel image“ is showed on the screen, release volume up button.
    6. Use volume switch to select "apply update from external storage", then click "power key" to execute.
    7. Choose update.zip.
    8. After upgrade complete, choose reboot system.

• detpangts
    detpangts Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I tried this several times and it does not work

This discussion has been closed.