Travelmate: hinge/cover refurbishment possible? Cost?

catinthedark
catinthedark Member Posts: 19 New User

I own an Acer Travelmate whose hinges have been destroyed.  This is not the laptop's "fault" -- I have found it to be very sturdy, but it has taken more abuse than any laptop should have to deal with.

Anyway... my hinges are shot -- and I do mean utterly destroyed, bent, broken, etc, and the plastic frame around the screen is also crumbling, but the screen itself is intact and completely functional, as is the rest of the machine.

--> Are the hinges separate from the lower frame (i.e. attached to it) or are they part of the same piece of metal?

--> I am wondering if a repair might be possible, at all?

--> If so, could anybody venture a guess how much it might cost?

Thanks very much for any insights.  I will be glad to provide any other information that might be needed about the machine or its state.

cat.

Answers

• catinthedark

Thanks so much, JackE for the information. Smiley Happy  From the parts you posted, it looks like the hinges are separate from the frame.  Following your example, I checked Amazon and see that replacement screen bezel and lid/covers also exist, so conceivably, repair is possible. Smiley Happy

However, I wouldn't be able to do it myself... I don't think?

Can anyone tell me whether Acer would undertake this kind of repair?

Any an idea of the cost (parts, labor)? 

Even parts cost + ball park # hours would be great, since the actual rates will vary with region/country.  Any info helpful, really.

Thanks again

cat.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

You can do it yourself. Not a big deal. All you need is a jewelers screwdriver set with both blades and phillips heads. Usually less than $5. Order a set from Amazon at the same time you order the hinge and cover and whatever else you need to qualify for free shipping. 8^) You can google with the keywords "travelmate" ""disassembly" and you'll come up with a list of travelmate numbers for downloading the appropriate acer pdf manual that'll instruct you replacing the hinges, etc.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• catinthedark

Thanks again JackE.

How do I open the main casing all the way, to seat the hinges?  I've opened it up to clean the fan, but the machine doesn't peel apart completely, it's just a panel on the bottom. If I get to *every single screw* on the bottom of the machine, will it just come apart? (I'm a little chicken about this, if you haven't guessed. Smiley Embarassed)

Another thing, I think I might be missing some of the screws from the hinges because I didn't realize when they came out. How do I find the spec for the little screws, to get replacements? Maybe I can just go to a hardware store and have them measure them... seems like since the hinges are snug inside the casing it would be best to get the exact thing from Acer?

I appreciate all your guidance with this. Smiley Happy

If anybody has an idea how much Acer would charge me, I'd still be interested in any info on that option.

Thanks again,

cat.

• catinthedark

Well, I've poked around a bit on Amazon and they don't have the parts for my specific Travelmate model. So I tried my local ebay and came across these rods that go up the side of the screen which look like they connect to the hinges, so the rods I have are almost certainly damaged as well.  Sigh.

This find makes me think, though, that even if I could get the parts, I might not know all the parts needed to do a proper home job until I have a taken-apart computer, and thus no internet access to find/buy what's missing.  Also, as it stands we're talking 100€ or a bit more, in parts alone... so I wouldn't like to be stuck in a halfway situation.

Probably best to have Acer do it, provided the cost isn't exorbitant. Smiley Embarassed

Any feedback on possible labor time/cost would be appreciated.

• JackE

It would be nice to know specifically what model number your travelmate is? Could you share this information? What happened to all the screws that you took out? As for the hinges, all you have to remove is the screen bezel to expose them. Usually, two hidden screws at the top or bottom of the bezel hold it in place --- they're behind two circular covers with a sticky back, sorta like tape. Just pluck the covers off with a tweezers to expose the screws. Remove the screws. Then it's a matter of popping the bezel off from the plastic catches using a screwdriver or putty knife as a wedge. If you're still a bit apprehensive about doing this, download the PDF files for your specific travelmate number as per my previous google search.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• catinthedark

HI Jack,  and again thank you for your time and patience.

This is a Travelmate 5720.

The part of both hinges that is supposed to be screwed into the screen/cover is already bare, exposed metal.  It is the portion that attaches to the base of the machine that I've no idea how to get to. The bezel and cover must be completely removed, because these have broken plastic in the hinge area and need replaced.  Also, it is impossible to know before taking it apart whether there has been damage to whatever part inside the screen unit that the hinges were attached to.  I believe there are brackets in there.

I did not take any screws out.  They must have fallen out when the hinge area fell apart.  There are no screws there now.

cat.

• catinthedark

Found service Manual!

[removed link in compliance with guidelines]

Unfortunately, it's quite a job to get to the hinges. You practically have to gut the machine, screen and base, to replace the hinges.

I am not up to this... if this is to be done, I'd need a service point to do it.

• JackE

Sorry, Cat. I'll guesstimate that a competent repair shop would charge about 2hrs labor plus parts. Unless the shop specifically asks you to buy the parts ahead of time, I would NOT do so. And again guesstimating existing labor rates, I think it's likely gonna cost you the same as or more to repair than to buy a new Win7 or Win8 machine.  

So if it were my 5720, I'd keep it as is because it's still operable with all my data on it. With all the banging around it's apparently gotten, it's probably only a matter of time for something like the HDD to start acting up. My advice is to start looking for a deal on a new machine and transfer your data onto it ASAP.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• catinthedark

It's ok Jack.  Smiley Happy

I really do appreciate your help, and it's not like doing it myself was a bad suggestion per se. With a simpler repair, I'd be sorely tempted to go tinker with its innards.  Unfortunately, the fix is quite involved for me, but also, I really don't have a viable space in which to work on something like this.

"I'll guesstimate that a competent repair shop would charge about 2hrs labor plus parts."

This is helpful and 2 hours doesn't seem bad, unless local labor rates are higher than I'm thinking.  I guess I'm thinking it can't be more than say 25€ an hour or total ~150 € parts and labor.

For my work I pretty much *have* to upgrade every so often... and this machine is still 32 bit, so it's more than time.  But I believe in fixing stuff/keeping stuff that works.  My previous Travelmate which is 11 years old still runs.  If this one has its predecessor's longevity, I'd gladly keep it up as a second machine.  I wouldn't mind having it restored/stabilized, but yes, at worst, I can keep it as is... duct taped to a steel bookend.

Smiley SurprisedSmiley Embarassed

cat.

• JackE

Cat>>> My previous Travelmate which is 11 years old still runs.  If this one has its predecessor's longevity, I'd gladly keep it up as a second machine.  I wouldn't mind having it restored/stabilized, but yes, at worst, I can keep it as is... duct taped to a steel bookend.>>>

Good for you, Cat. Nothing wrong with duct tape. I still have a working 14 -year-old HP with Win98 SE. Yes, and a bit of duct tape holding some of the busted plastic pieces together. Still has a 3-1/2 floppy drive with 5-1/4 floppy drive, parallel port HDD & other disk format appendages --- and a bunch of old data files on it's huge 1.6GB HDD! Comes in handy sometimes. Use it about once a month for old stuff I need to retrieve or really nice elderly programs that won't run on new-fangled OS like your Windows XP 8^). I must confess though  that I'm using the HP less and less now that I have Win98SE, WinXP and Linux installed as virtual VMware machines on this Acer A0722 --- a Target store special at $185  or about €135v --- plus tax of course. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• catinthedark

Hi Jack

Let's hear it for duct tape!  Don't leave home without it! Smiley Very HappySmiley LOL

Wow, a 1.6GB drive... that's still functional?  And Win98, oh my!  But the 5 1/4 floppy really takes the cake!  LOL!

I do have a bit of legacy software.  XP actually does quite well with mine, but things started to choke on Win7.  Honestly I don't like the direction Windows is going... might shift to Linux as my primary OS.  I started setting up a machine with Win8... I can manage fine without a start button, but 40 seconds to bring up task manager is unacceptable. Smiley Frustrated

You have an interesting setup.  I have been out of the field for a while so haven't used virtual environments myself, but I know that they are becoming popular in professional settings.  I was not aware of home use at all, though.  Mind if I ask, where your OS's are hosted... it sounds like they are on the same machine, the Acer A0722?  What is the advantage over dual/multi boot?

cat.

• JackE

Cat>>>Mind if I ask, where your OS's are hosted... it sounds like they are on the same machine, the Acer A0722?  What is the advantage over dual/multi boot?>>>

Yup, all under Win7. The advantage? The biggest is no dual/multiboot anymore! No partition fiddling! Run all my legacy software & Linux-specific stuff. Run all OSs at the same time. OSs can communicate with each other thru the network. Change virtual settings & parameters on the fly. Transfer a virtual to another host machine simply by transferring the virtual's files. There are  more advantages but I can't think of them right now. The disadvantages over multi-boot? Yes, some legacy hardware issues with an obsolete Win95 Logitech page-scanner --- I can't get it's FAX to run. Do you think I'm smitten about VMWare? 8^) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Player

I agree with you on the direction Windows has taken after XP. Mostly downhill, But I gotta admit this Win7 ain't too shabby. If I had a new Win8 machine, I'd probably try to get rid of Win8 altogether and upgrade to Win7. Or maybe, if I was timid, run a virtual Win7 machine and pretend the Win8 host doesn't even exist. Which is easy to do when using a VMWare virtual in full-screen mode. 

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• catinthedark

Hey Jack,

Sounds pretty good.  Smiley Happy The network communication especially is cool -- hadn't thought about that, but it make multi-client testing possible using the same machine.  I will probably look into this for myself.  I hadn't thought there'd be free virtualization software either, but after reading your VMWare info I saw that there are a few out there, including some opensource solutions.

I guess, as a downside, I might expect performance to be degraded a good bit, if one is using a "regular" home machine with a heavy OS like Win8, but perhaps the impact is not all that significant.

Win7 is not the hog that Win8, for sure.  I'll be happy if whatever I get has a Win7 downgrade option. I opted out of Vista on this machine, using the XP recovery media hehe.

• JackE

Cat>>>I saw that there are a few out there, including some opensource solutions. I guess, as a downside, I might expect performance to be degraded a good bit>>>

Hi again Cat

I don't mean to sound like an advertisement or salesperson, but I tried most of the other virtualization stuff out there. And nothing else seems as smooth, versatile or bulletproof as what I'm using now and described earlier. The performance hit? Perhaps. But not enough to notice or really care about for the kinda stuff I do.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• catinthedark

Ah, don't worry Jack!  You don't sound like an ad!

A positive recommendation is always handy, especially since you've tried other stuff and like what you use the best.  I will try VMWare when I get around to this.  "Smooth, versatile, bulletproof" sounds pretty good to me!

A performance hit is often relevant for development purposes, but I'll ask around whether it is significant.  For testing, virtualization makes things possible you couldn't otherwise do with one machine.

I'd be interested in the opensource packages ... just to look at the source -- see how they built the stuff.  Smiley Very Happy  I got lots of much more basic catching up to do though, before I get around to that.

Thanks for all the advice! Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.