Product key for Microsoft Office

Options
Microuser
Microuser Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi There!  I just joined with the name Microuser.  My Aspire 7560 came with Microsoft Office Starter 2010 pre-installed with no expiration.  I  can't find my product key number, manual or the CD that came with it and I have a lot of stuff that saved in Microsoft that I can't open.  I installed/activated it when I purchased my notebook in July 2012.  It worked fine until recently.   I don't want to buy Office from Microsoft (I already bought it for my MAC).  Any suggestions?

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Microuser

Welcome to the community!

Office Starter 2010 does not need a product key. It is a trimmed down version of the full package. Plus it is advert supported.

The Home & Student (and above) versions will need a product key which will need to be purchased separately.

What happens when to try to open a word document? Do you get any error messages?

• Microuser
    Options

No error message; ask if I want to purchase Microsoft Office or if it came with my computer to enter product key. Don't have product key from box, can't find cd I used to install everything when I got the ASPIRE 7560-Sb619 laptop.  I have a Microsoft Office 07 on a flashdrive from a class I took but I was afraid it would conflict with my 10 version.

• finlux
    Options
    There should also be an option to use the free version (starter).

You can use Office 2007 if you wish (as long as you have the Product key). Just uninstall 2010 first!
  • Microuser
    Options

No option. One day I could click and a message or excel would simply open, and the next day I got the box offering to purchase or provide the product key. I have a lot of messages on word and excel charts in my starter versions...would I lose them if I uninstalled 2010?  I can click starter from the programs menu and open them but they save in thr regular versions and sometimes I don't have them listed in the starter version.

• finlux
    Options

Office 2010 & Office 2010 Starter use the same format, so whatever was saved in one, will open in the other!

If you wish Office Starter can be downloaded here.

If you decide to install Office 2007, this too uses the same format, so you should have no problems!

This discussion has been closed.