Acer Predator g7700 case wiring fix?

Options
CurryKatsu
CurryKatsu Member Posts: 1 New User
Hello there, I have a question that I was wondering if someone could help me with. I recently bought an empty case off of Ebay, of an old Acer Predator g7700 gaming desktop. I have always liked the look of this case, had been looking for one for quite awhile, and wanted to try building a new gaming PC inside it. However, I also saw that awhile back, this case was recalled, due to a fire hazard stemming from problems with wiring insulation. It apparently affected acer predator models sold between May and Dec 2008, and sure enough, looking at the case I bought, it looks it this one's date of manufacture was August 2008. Does anyone know if there's anyway I could check this unit's repair history or see if this particular unit had ever had the Acer-issued wiring fix applied to it? I dunno if it would help, but the SNID of this particular unit is: 83302955630.

And if not, since I know that product recall was a long time ago, and I doubt Acer itself is still issuing wiring fixes, would anyone be able to suggest to me what I might need to do myself to reinforce or repair the wiring? As I mentioned I always liked the look of this case and would love to build a new gaming pc with it, but of course only if I can reasonably ensure that it's safe and won't melt/ catch on fire...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Answers

• JC_1234
    JC_1234 Member Posts: 198 Troubleshooter
    Options

I remember hearing about that recall a while ago. You can try and get in touch with them by chat maybe, certainly not by phone that I can tell based on age. You'll need that SNID you provided for them to pull up the system in their database, it should tell them if there is still some sort of recall pending for it. It only affected about 215 units (according to on-line searches), you unit may not be affected at all. I'm not sure, but if this was one of the units affected by the recall and it never got the rework they might still honor it... maybe?

This discussion has been closed.