acer aspire v3-571 will not connect to local wireless network

Options
denno86
denno86 Member Posts: 3 New User

hi there, 

Having issues with my aspire v3-571 not connecting to my local wireless network. The device will connect to any other wireless network i come across but not my home sky broadband network!

Ive tried uninstalling device drivers and installing new drivers and still won't connect wireless. This issue has been going on ages and its driving me nuts. Just want to use this laptop wireless on the network without having to run a huge cat5 cable just to get working internet everytime!!!

Need help please!!!! thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

Sounds like your router has been set up to only accept wireless connections to specific machine, or MAC,  addresses. This is how I set up my router so only MAC addresses I choose are allowed to connect to it wirelessly. Did you set up your router or someone else?

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• denno86
    Options

ahh i see. That could well be a possibility. The network was set up by the sky engineer upon installation and key was changed. Im unaware of any change in settings as i have very little knowledge in the router settings.

All i know is its not just my laptop that cant connect...some smart devices cant connect to network whilst some can Smiley Indifferent its all very odd.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, each device should have its own MAC (machine access code)  address. If the Sky engineer originally set the router to only wirelessly respond to the MAC addresses of whatever devices you had at the time, it will not respond to any new devices you may have acquired since until their MAC addresses are loaded into the router's memory. If you don't know how to access your router's memory settings (usually requires the router's internet access quad-dot address along with  a username and password), I'm afraid you'll have to try to contact whoever installed the router. Or perhaps they left you with some router documentation which shows this information?

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• denno86
    Options

thanks for the info. I will look into this hopefully find the solution. Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.