Few questions about 5742z-4371

Options
jennyxls
jennyxls Member Posts: 1 New User

1 How to check all drivers are current and working properly?

2 When i accidentally hit caps lock - often happens - how can i get an on screen message that CAPS/NUMBER/SCROLL etc. ARE ON/OFF?

3 Is it a good idea to have multiple (FREE) security checker programs and which work best together?

4 ARE THERE ANY HARDWARE UPGRADES (see) that are available or recommended.

5 Using Youtube or Netflix, i have to move the cursor from time to time because the picture freezes. Is this correctible?

6 Yahoo?? keeps substituting mywebsearch which i don't want but can't get rid of it??

7 I use Mozilla Firefox 26.0 for Yahoo Canada 1.16 and have no idea about the yahoo bit. What gets updated seems unclear.

8 How do add-ons improve Firefox and how do you load them?

9 I have a download arrow in a toolbar with a red cross on it and message Flash Video Downloader. Don't know where it came from or if I need to get it or???

10 The sound quality of the built-in speakers is pretty naff (and my hearing is too). Can anything - other than external speakers - be done to improve or at least test that they are as good as they were designed to be!!

11 Do I get email replies or must I check this site each day for your expert solutions?

I am a retired - retarded - old senior who used to understand computer stuff until 2000 when my brain switched off and didn't reboot completely. I try hard to understand new stuff but it is often written for people who know all the acronyms and I would be most grateful if any feedback - I was going to say is at a Grade 6 level but they are writing the software - so KISS is good.

Many thanks and every happiness for Christmas and New Year,

jenni.

Answers

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter
    Options

I too am up there and have probs with most new things, but can maneuver around W7 a bit.

I have a 5742 that I've updated to a  different core, but for this one also pays via an increase

in power usage = heat.

As far as drivers, you can check Acer's support page for your unit to see if any new drivers are

avail. You can also go to Control Panel > Device Manager > and right click each hardware part for

Properties > where a window will open, then click "Drivers" and "update drivers " close and reboot

if necessary.

As far as the CAPS LOCK deal, it is frustrating not being able to know if CAPS is on, so I

found this free software that really works great. Once downloaded and opened, you can

get a "beep" to sound when you hit CAPS, as well as hanging two icons in the toolbar that

tells you if you're in CAPS LOCK or not. Here you go.

http://www.georgejopling.co.uk/capslock/capslock.html

You have a virus with Mywebsearch. Download Malwarebytes and run it. It should locate

Mywebsearch and remove it. Also look for a folder called Mywebsearch. It has to be

removed. It may be in Programs x86 OR Program data. Also consider loading SuperAntiSpyware

free version and run it. It helps rid units of bugs as well. If all else fails, try Combofix

from Bleeping Computers.com. It finds just about any and all bugs, but be careful because

it is a VERY powerful cleaner. Also go into TOOLS > OPTIONS > GENERAL  and make sure

the home page is what you want it to be, such as WWW.YAHOO.COM and not MyWebSearch.

As far as Add-ons, go to TOOLS > ADD0-ONS > GET ADD-ONS let the page load, the click "see all"

there you can choose from a myriad of add-ons. You click 'Add To Firefox and let it load, do a restart

and whatever you've choosen should avail. You may have to go back into ADD-ONS to check

the status, but with a little work, you'll locate what you added.

The sound is as it is, sadly. Only one speaker is provided on the 5742's and I agree it's

pathetic. Nothing for it save for externals.

HTH's !

This discussion has been closed.