Acer s7 392 - a few questions...

Saito_S
Saito_S Member Posts: 5 New User

Greetings!

Recently, I've been thinking about getting an ultrabook, and have looked quite a bit at the 2013 s7. My other top choice right now is the Sony Vaio Pro 13, but I'm pretty hesitant about that due to the apparently ongoing issues with wi-fi and serious fan noise... Anyway, before I pull the trigger on an s7, I'd like to see if I can have a few questions answered.

One is about CPUs, and the choice between the i5 and i7 cores. Obviously the latter means more processing power, but I've seen some reviews (not just of the s7, but of other ultrabooks) claim that the practical difference is pretty insignificant. And in addition, I saw a claim in a thread on another forum that the core i7 model gets lesser battery life, by about an hour, but no one there definitively confirmed or denied that. Can anyone here offer insight into either of those things? Even if the real-world processing power is quite similar, it might still be worth it to get the i7 for the larger SSD, but the potential battery issue gives me pause...

My other question is about the weight, not of the laptop, but of the power brick/cord. This might seem silly, but I have a netbook with a power cord that weighs only 6.6 oz, and on the other side of the spectrum, an older Mac laptop with a power cord weighing nearly a pound (13.7 oz). So they can really vary! I'd assume the power cord on the s7 doesn't weigh too much, but I thought I'd see if anyone could tell me what it was, just so I'd know what kind of weight I'd be adding to the (wonderfully light!) laptop itself by carrying the power cord around.

Might have more questions later, but that'll do for the moment. Thanks in advance for any info!  Smiley Happy

Answers

• Saito_S

Hmm... anyone?

Mainly the battery life with the i7 version, if I had to pick what was more important to be answered. I'm curious about the weight of the power brick, but that's less of a concern.

• DocTerry
    DocTerry Member Posts: 5 New User
    If no one replies my new one arrives before New Year. I'll let you know the weight them.
  • Saito_S

Thanks, I appreciate the effort! I did end up calling Acer actually, because I wanted to ask them about something else & let them know that the "Drivers and Manuals" section of support site seemed to be down (which, when I called, the guy looked and said yes it looks like it IS down, and now several hours later it is back up, so yay I accomplished something!). I asked about the weight of the power cord, and while he couldn't give me an exact measurement, he said it seemed pretty light, probably less than half a pound.

That said, I'm reaching a point where I'm going to have to just decide and buy a computer (the S7 and Sony's Vaio Pro are my top contenders right now, though I haven't completely ruled out something from Asus or Lenovo), try it out myself, and hope for the best, rather than continuing to do massive amounts of research as I have been lately. I'll simply return whatever I get if it doesn't work out. Unfortunately, for the S7, the core i7/256 SSD config is out. Amazon had that one on sale for 1400 (which is only 100 more than the core i5/128 SSD config), but I guess that was just a Christmas thing, because it's back up to 1500, which is definitely over my limit. So if I DO still go with the S7, it'll have to be the i5 model. Woulda been really nice to have that extra storage space, but oh well.

This discussion has been closed.