A little problem in Acer E1-422

Options
ArifSamudro
ArifSamudro Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, I just bought myself an Acer Aspire E1-422, which is overall a great notebook laptop. But I just encountered a problem and any help is appreciated.

My former laptop was Acer Aspire 4741, which has Win7 OS installed. I used to play games with it, but then I realized I need a better laptop to play games with. So I decided to buy E1-422. The problem is, even if the graphic card of E1-422 is so much better than 4741, it lags worse than when I played with 4741. Is this because I'm copying the game from win7 to win8, or is it something else? I've tried reinstalling the program, but the lag still exist. My hypothesis is, the game isn't fully compatible with win8, but I don't know whether it's right or not.

What I'm suggesting is, can Acer kindly provide E1-422's driver which is compatible with win7? I was a bit upset when my new laptop with good gaming specification still lags even when playing old games. 

I'd be really glad if anyone can help.

Best regards,

Arif

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just a thought - check the games manufacturers website - there may be a patch or an update for Windows 8 users. Also check to see if there is an updated LAN or wireless driver.

It may still be possible to downgrade (or upgrade, depending on your point of view!) to Windows 7 - some drivers may work, but it will be a case of trial & error. Back up everything (or image your Windows 8 partition) and try it. If things go wrong, you can always revert back to Windows 8.

Also make sure you've made your recovery disk/USB stick, if you haven't already, just incase things go wrong!

Answers

• finlux
    Options

Hi ArifSamudro

It shouldn't lag really - unless the graphics chip or processor in your new laptop is not as good as your old one - highly unlikely!

Try adjusting the games' graphics properties to see if this helps. Also, if you right click the icon, select properties, then Compatibility, then tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode" box & select Windows 7 - this may help too.

• ArifSamudro
    Options

I've tried adjusting the compatibility settings, in some games it helps, while in others, it doesn't.

I've also tried adjusting the games' graphics properties, it doesn't lag on low graphic settings, but I bought this laptop because I expect good performance with also good graphics.

btw, does RAM memory has anything to do with lags? my friend has a lower graphic card with better memory (Win7OS) and it doesn't lag on his laptop.

• finlux
    Options

RAM certainly can effect playability in a game. Although the AMD chip inside your laptop is pretty decent, perhaps the game is just too much for it?

• ArifSamudro
    Options

well I don't believe Counter Strike 1.6 is too much for my laptop Smiley Indifferent It constantly lags every 1 or 2 minutes. not only mine though, another friend of mine has win8 installed, and he has the same problem as my laptop. whenever we host the game, it'll lag and affect other players.

the problem aside, is there any way that I can downgrade my laptop to Win7? there are no driver software compatible to Win7 for this laptop though.

• finlux
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just a thought - check the games manufacturers website - there may be a patch or an update for Windows 8 users. Also check to see if there is an updated LAN or wireless driver.

It may still be possible to downgrade (or upgrade, depending on your point of view!) to Windows 7 - some drivers may work, but it will be a case of trial & error. Back up everything (or image your Windows 8 partition) and try it. If things go wrong, you can always revert back to Windows 8.

Also make sure you've made your recovery disk/USB stick, if you haven't already, just incase things go wrong!

• ArifSamudro
    Options

Thanks! I'll try to do as you suggested.

This discussion has been closed.