BIOS Update corrupted my system!

Options
dirigibility
dirigibility Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi this is my first time here, I'm hoping to find an answer to my problem. I just bought a used Acer Aspire 5560g-7809 laptop it has windows 7 64 bit and I was updating it with windows updates and some other downloads and drivers, it has dual graphics and the system was having trouble recognizing it so I go to the Acer page and download the BIOS files thinking that'd help..well..I must have downloaded an older one or something because after I flashed my bios and restarted my whole windows is corrupt and blue screens at start saying I need to update my BIOs from the vendor..wont even go into windows repair interface. I don't have a recovery disc, so that's a problem..

What are my options here?? I'd love to get this computer working again I got it just to have it ***** on me..Any help appreciated!

Answers

• Alan-London
    Options

The problem with the graphics driver has nothing to do with your system. The issue is due to the graphics driver installer that was not written to handle dual graphics hardware. nVidia are now beginning to address the issue but, in my experience, are at present inconsistent - one version may 'understand' dual graphics, the next not. I suspect your ATI driver suffer the same problem.

Updating the BIOS should not be considered a panacea and is rarely the solution particularly as Acer don't/didn't provide change logs. As you have found, doing so can introduce more problems than it solves.

You could follow the advice of the blue screen and try and correct the BIOS issue. You may be lucky and find that Windows behaves once the original BIOS is restored.

• dirigibility
    dirigibility Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you Alan. So I'm left with sending it to Acer which would cost about the same as another laptop..or maybe one of the BIOS acer has would work if I can get the computer to boot from a usb?

• Alan-London
    Options

I have no idea of Acer's charges but if they are that expensive, it may be worth experimenting.
    Your USB would need to be bootable of course. However, it is suggested that a USB floppy drive is preferable to USB 'stick' if you have one.

While I cannot verify the methods described, you could check these links for inspiration (they will need to be 'tuned' for your system):

http://www.rechner.org/b1800.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/446946-crisis-recovery-cd-acer-as5520-failed-bios-upgrade.html

Further info may be found by a Google search for 'Crisis Recovery Disk'.
    Bear in mind that recovery does rely on the current BIOS boot block being intact.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

I', afraid that Acer London has probably explained your problem correctly. But there are two free desperation tricks you can try.

Unplug your machine and remove the battery. Hold the power button down for sixty seconds and then try to get into Windows. You might have to try getting into Safel Mode a few times.

If you can borrow a legal copy of your operating system on a DVD, insert it and restart. MAYBE it will take you to a repair screen. If there is any way to go back to your original BIOS, do so.

This discussion has been closed.