Z1620 AIO Corrupt eRecoveryManagement

Options
brucehvn
brucehvn Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a client with the Z1620 AIO that came with Windows 7 64-bit.  She complained that the computer was having problems booting fully into Windows.  I looked at it and found the hard drive was failing.  It was having a hard time reading data and there were lots of bad sectors.  All of the corruption took place on the C drive.  I was able to image the HDD using Acronis.  I replaced the HDD, and restored the image.  Windows boots but there are lots of things corrupted including the Acer eRecoveryManagement program.  The original MBR was restored by Acronis.  The recovery parition is completely intact.

I've already backed up all the user data and I want to restore the computer, but can't get into the recovery manager via Windows.  If I set the recovery partition as boot and unhidden, then it will boot into recovery management, but when I actually try and do the restore, I get an error that M:\D2D\xxxxxx file does not exist.  It appears that when booting into the recovery partition directly, the drive letter is not correct.  I tried setting that partition to M: in Windows, but it still has the same error the next time I try it.

Alt+F10 does not appear to work on this machine and I see no option in the BIOS to enable it.

So, I'm stuck.  I wish Acer would let me download a replacement eRecoveryManagement but they don't make it available.  Any ideas on how I can proceed?

Answers

• brucehvn
    brucehvn Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Ok, some progress.  It turns out eRecoveryManager was not corrupted, it was a file in .NET 2.0.  I fixed that and got eRecoveryManager to run.  I was able to create a driver/application backup, but when I try to create a factory restore disk, or just restore the computer back to factory original state, it gives me an error that the hard drive configuration is not set to the factory default.  When I restored the disk, I even had Acronis restore the disk signature.  I've looked at the old hard drive in both Windows and linux partition managers and I can't see a bit of difference between the new hard drive and the old one.  I've included a screen shot from the disk management tool with the old hard disk running through a USB adapter.  You can't see all the info from the old disk because there's a signature collision, but you can see the partitions are identically sized and placed.  All the flags are set correctly on each partition.

I don't know what else it's looking for to see if the disk configuration is the factory default.  I'm so close now to being able to restore this computer.  This is the last obstacle.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

As a last resort, is there a way I can create the factory restore DVD(s) manually from the recovery partition?

disks.jpg

This discussion has been closed.