Acer E1-572G freeze when unplugged

Options
KmJ
KmJ Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I got my new notebook yesterday with windows 8 (I updated it to 8.1) and while I can start and use it normally on the battery, each time I go from plugged to unplugged, it freezes completely and I have to press and maintain the power button to shut it down.

I already tried to update the bios but I get an error message ("BIOS version compare error!"). The version on my computer is 2.04 and the version I get on the support is 2.03.

I don't know what to do. When I try to find some help on the web but this issue doesn't seem common and everyone suggest to update the bios.

Thanks for your help.

(Sorry if there are any mistakes, english is not my maternal tongue.)

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi KmJ

Firstly, try the laptop on a completely different power socket - in another room would be ideal - and see if it happens there. Try it at a friends house too.

If it still happens, there may be an issue with your charger. See if you can borrow a similar charger with the same input/output voltages and try it to see if the problem is still there. If it goes away, when using the borrowed charger, then it will be your charger at fault - see Acer support for your region for further assistance.

Your English is great by the way!

• KmJ
    KmJ Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for your answer finlux

I already tried different power socket yesterday and it made no difference.

I don't understand, why would it be an issue with my charger? My laptop works fine while plugged. Also no problems when I plug it while it started on the battery.

As suggested elsewhere, I tried to callibrate the battery by charging it to 100% and let it die but it froze again when the power was low (under 100%). I had to shut it down but then it refused to start. I took out the battery and plugged it and it started again. And of course the issue remains.

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options
    I was thinking of the charger giving the wrong sort of voltage.

As your laptop is new, contact Acer support for your region or return it back to the store you bought it from.

Let us know how you get on....
  • Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Kmj, I'm sorry that you're having this problem. When you upgraded to 8.1, you deleted all your Acer drivers and are now using generic Microsoft drivers. When my Windows 8 laptop accidentally got upgraded to 8.1, I had all kinds of problems for about ten days before I figured out what had happened. Try doing all of the following:

Use the Charms Bar to go to Setting, Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Hardware, Device Installation Settings, and make sure that you are set to download Windows updates and drivers automatically. If not , set a System Restore Point, select the option to allow automatic updates and drivers, and let your laptop sit there online for a few hours.

Then go to IObit.com and install their free driver finder.  Set another System Restore Point before you use it.

Over the last two weeks, my laptop has been running steadily better as it automatically installs the correct drivers and updates for me.

This discussion has been closed.