8951g will not recognize discrete GFX card anymore

Options
tempus_fugit
tempus_fugit Member Posts: 2 New User

I have tried other tech forums for this problem and to no avail (no replies for it anywhere I have posted), so maybe I should have come here to begin with.

My main problem is that one day my 8951g Ethos just switched itself to the onboard graphics and won't switch back. I have checked and googled all over the web to find out if a) my laptop has switchable graphics, and b) how to switch back if it does. I thought I'd found the answer, but after doing so, restarting, and Windows updating itself last night, it won't detect the card anymore. I know this because I downloaded Shadow Warrior on Steam (I am indeed a gamer) and it default it ran on high settings. I got 5-6 FPS (via fraps) at most. When I dialed down all the settings to their lowest, I still got 5-6 FPS and I thought something was wrong. When I went back to the graphics options I noticed the graphics detected were Intel's onboard graphics. I had no option in the menu to switch to the NVIDIA card. It's like it doesn't exist.

I went to the GeForce control panel and followed the instructions in the knowledgebase as noted above, and nothing happened. CPU-Z doesn't find the card, and neither does any other detection program I have. The same goes for dxdiag.exe. The latest BIOS update listed for my laptop model is from 2012, so that pretty much leaves flashing the BIOS out of the question as a solution since I got this laptop after the BIOS had been flashed to that version long ago.

This problem comes shortly after the internal data cable dongle to connect third-party/aftermarket HDDs internally stopped working...I only know this because I put the HDD in an enclosure after noticing it wasn't detected even in BIOS and I used eSata and it worked perfectly. I am not sure if these problems are related, if I maybe shook or messed something up while transporting the laptop or what, but the timing seems a little more than coincidental.

Is there a possible solution to this besides sending my laptop in for repair? Is this a physical hardware problem, firmware, or software?

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

It sounds as if your Nvidia card has either failed or worked loose, or it may be a motherboard problem...

If you're confidant, you could take your laptop apart, to see if there is anything you can do, but it would be best to take to your local PC store.

• tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

I think you could be right. I feel like it's a motherboard problem since I also had my Scorpio Black secondary HDD fail until I removed it from the laptop, threw it in an enclosure, and it worked via eSata. This happened around the same time or shortly before the graphics card problem.

I would rather not take it apart. The warranty is over now anyway, but still.

This discussion has been closed.