Acer laptop fresh install..

Options
flash8
flash8 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I have an Acer laptop aspire VS-531 series with windows 7. During cyber Monday my wife notice computer running slow and bogging down. I attempted to run Norton scan system just grounfd to a halt. I have not been able to load windows or use any of the function keys to get to recovery partion. I finally purchased erecovery disks for this model. last night i attaempted to load system disk and four recovery disks. Process copied all disks , but failed at install at 7% with error messages of  WIMApplyImageFail. error 0x45d   and another box Fail To Restore Image  at the 16 minute mark. Now computer has BOOTMGR is missing  message   use Ctrl+Alt+del to restart. I'm not sure where to go from here. is the system so infected it can't be salavged. Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi there,

First off, I'll point out that the recovery process has nothing to do with the FN keys, but rather the ALT F10 keys. So you could try to restart the computer, press and hold ALT and then tap F10 repeatedly. There's also a pretty good chance that the disks didn't burn properly so you could always call Acer and tell them the disks don't work and ask them to send you another copy. And finally there's also a chance that your HDD is full of temp files and therefor would need to be formatted. You can download a linux live disk and format your HDD so that you can start with a fresh disk.

Good luck and take care,
    ScottyC

• flash8
    flash8 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks, Scott. I tried using the alt F10 key and started the recory from there. It installed 78% and gave me a error about image fail. Much farther than the disks.  I will try the linux live adn format, also send for another copy of disks.

Thank you.

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

If you ordered them from Acer they have a 14 day warranty and you can get a copy for free if you call them within that window. Short of that, yes linux live is the way to go. Hopefully your HDD is in good working order. Image fail errors are common, so if you were to have created the RCD's using the Acer eRecovery Management application you would be copying the corrupted partition onto disks, meaning it would make perfect sense that they fail as well. If you did order the disks then just hope that they burned incorrectly because otherwise you'll be looking at a new HDD in your future.

Best of luck and take care!
    ScottyC

This discussion has been closed.