Pre-installed Windows XP - I have a question...

tastelessone
tastelessone Member Posts: 5 New User

My old Acer Aspire 5050 got a new lease on life in the form of 4GB of RAM to replace its original 1GB. But the old installation of Windows XP Media Center 2005 that came pre-installed is still slowing things up. Just too much guck built up over the years, so to speak.

I'm thinking seriously about blowing the whole thing up--wiping the hard drive and giving it a fresh install of Windows. I have the CDs (Windows XP Media Center 2005) and I have the Windows license key on the base of my laptop. I have already:

• Removed all my important files from the laptop.
  • Downloaded and saved all the driver and application files from Acer, making sure I have the right ones.
  • Don't really care about the present settings and applications.

The nagging question I have is: when I start installing Windows from my CDs and am prompted for the license key am I gonna see a message that says, "Hold on, Bubba, you can't use THAT key for this installation"?

Best Answer

• tastelessone
    Answer ✓

I made the discs as instructed, but I would prefer a clean install, with only the necessary drivers and utilities. Took a chance and did the install. The license key on the base of my laptop was accepted. Not done yet, but good so far.

Answers

• Travis-Acer
    Travis-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 681 Acer Crew

If you're using Acer's recovery media that you either created on your own or had sent to you, it should not prompt you to install the OEM Windows OS Product Key.

• tastelessone
    Answer ✓

I made the discs as instructed, but I would prefer a clean install, with only the necessary drivers and utilities. Took a chance and did the install. The license key on the base of my laptop was accepted. Not done yet, but good so far.

This discussion has been closed.