Acer Aspire M5 481 PT won't boot, no screen, no BIOS

Options
rob211
rob211 Member Posts: 4 New User

If I press the power button, I hear a couple of sounds like a drive, and keyboard lights, but no screen. Tried external, no luck.

I tried to get to BIOS (F12, esc, F2, delete, with keyboard and external USB keyboard, nothing.

I have a USB recovery drive but without access to BIOS I don't have any way to use it. Machine is 6 mos old...glad I have an iMac so I can write this. Whatta piece....

Answers

• rob211
    Options

Still couldn't get to BIOS, but I got it to boot. But screen on laptop almost invisible; if I shine flashlight on it I can just make it out. Attached external monitor and that works. Fn left-arrow doesn't change brightness.

Is there a keyboard command or some way to get everything on the second monitor? I can't even mouse to it. At least then I could get some use out of this, since it appears the LCD backlight is shot. I tried VNC, but I guess I hadn't turned on a VNC server on it. If I could get to anything I could then run it headless. Junk.

• rob211
    Options

Could it be that no backlight, no trackpad and the other problems I'm having are due to a dead battery?

I noticed that even though it's plugged in, and although I verified that the charging cable is sending 18v or so, it behaves like the battery is dead. Some laptops I've had won't function with a dead battery; could this be it?

• rob211
    Options

To answer my own questions, it does appear to be power related.

I hit the reset button (took me forever to even find out there was one) and it came back to life, screen and all.

So, for future reference, it seems that connecting or unconnecting something caused a power problem and it stopped charging, even though the cord was connected and it seemed to be charging.

Backlight to the screen went out, trackpad went out, and one USB port went out. But keyboard backlight, external monitor, and drive worked. Battery gradually went down to zero. Paper clip in reset hole in the back and it works now.

This discussion has been closed.