Webcam Issue

Options
RhinoCan
RhinoCan Member Posts: 8 New User

My mother has an Acer Aspire laptop - I don't know the specific model offhand but could get it if it's necessary - and it's having a major problem. For some reason, the built-in webcam has stopped working. As part of my troubleshooting, I'd like to find out what brand and model the webcam is and where I can find current drivers for it. I've tried looking within Windows (she's running Windows 7) but all I can see is "unknown device". I'm guessing there's a standard brand and model that are used in the Acer Aspires but if there are many possible webcams, it would be very helpful to know where to look up what brand and model my mother has.

I'm assuming that updating the drivers will sort out the problem but, on the off chance that it's a hardware issue, how hard is it to remove and replace a webcam? The laptop is a couple of years old now and therefore out of warranty. I'm not great with hardware problems but I *might* be able remove and replace the webcam if it's not too hard. Where can I find instructions on how to do that?

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Rhino, for the cost of replacing the webcam, you can buy your mother a brand new $250 Windows 8 laptop.

Also, try going to Camera. Sometimes, the webcam works there. You can also make sure that the laptop is set to install new drivers automatically.

• RhinoCan
    RhinoCan Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Seriously? Replacing the webcam will cost in the neighbourhood of $250??

That must be mostly the labour cost then. The whole laptop cost only a bit over $500 new at Best Buy here in Canada. I can't believe that the webcam itself is half the value of the laptop so the lion's share of that $250 must be the labour to take the laptop apart and reassemble it.

At that rate, I seriously hope it is just a matter of reinstalling the drivers!!

If I can get the model number of the laptop, can you or anyone else tell me how to find drivers for it and how to determine which drivers are for the webcam?

This discussion has been closed.