No power when on battery

Options
bigw25
bigw25 Member Posts: 3 New User

I have a W700 and recently it stopped running from battery. The battery reports about a 2/3 charge, but will not go above that. I replaced the battery and it has almost no charge, again no charging takes place. When no battery is connected, the tablet does show no battery detected, so the PnP functions are still working.

I see no signs of damage to any wires or connections. All connectors are plugged in.

I replaced the mSATA drive months ago, which works great, but that killed any chance of a warranty.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I doubt I'll pay to get it fixed as I just picked up a Surface.

Best Answer

• bigw25
    Answer ✓
    Options

I opened it up a bit further and found a loose connection on the underside of MB. I must have not quite snapped in when I changed drive and it worked its way loose over the few months as it was hauled around the country.

Answers

• exscentric
    exscentric Member Posts: 78 Troubleshooter
    Options

Sounds like the charging circuit may not be working properly.  It is usually near the battery connection or power connection.  Look closely for burned parts or parts labeled with an f  fuses don't always look like fuses anymore.  Also the power jack may have a connection that breaks when the external plug enters the unit.  It would be inside the plug.  If it does not reconnect when the external plug is removed it could give you problems.

• bigw25
    Answer ✓
    Options

I opened it up a bit further and found a loose connection on the underside of MB. I must have not quite snapped in when I changed drive and it worked its way loose over the few months as it was hauled around the country.

• exscentric
    exscentric Member Posts: 78 Troubleshooter
    Options

Glad you got it fixed, nothing more frustrating than a nice unit like that not working :-)

This discussion has been closed.