Aspire E1 470P-6659 running Windows 8.1 Elan Touchpad not working

Options
johnjtraynor
johnjtraynor Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Aspire E1 470P-6659 running Windows 8.1 Elan Touchpad does not work for drag and drop, edge scroll and swipe and multifinger commands

These capabilities DO work on the touchscreen.

However, the inability to use these functions severely limits the use of second monitor.

Please respond.

John

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

John, there's more than one possible cause, so there's more than one possible solution.

First, try the easy solutions. Try to restet your touchpad. If there is a small horizontal bar (not the space bar) near the touchpad, press it. That will turn it off. Make sure it is off and then turn it back on. Also, on your F keys, find a hand with a pointing finger. Press Fn plus that key, and you will turn off your touchpad. Make sure it is off, and then turn it back on.

If that doesn't work:

Did you upgrade to 8.1 from Windows 8?

Okay, after months of telling people that WINDOWS 8.1 IS NOT AN UPGRADE. IT IS A COMPLETE OPERATING SYSTEM, AND WHEN YOU INSTALL IT, YOU ERASE ALL YOUR DRIVERS, and explaining that you should never change the operating system on a laptop, the kids at the orphanage installed Windows 8.1 without my knowledge ten days ago.

Here's what I did to correct the multitude of problems. Not realizing what had happened, but beset with problems:

1) I ran a deep scan with Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware. They uncovered several minor problems that had not interfered with Windows 8, but had been troubling 8.1.

2) I already had my laptop set to install Windows updates and Windows drivers automatically. As the days went by, the problems lessened, and I think it was taking my laptop a while to replace the generic drivers that came with 8.1. If I had known what was wrong, I would have LET THE LAPTOP SIT THERE, CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, SO IT HAS TIME TO UPDATE ITS DRIVERS.

3) I installed the free Driver Booster program from IObit.com. On my desktop, it found nine outdated driver that Microsoft missed. After carefully setting a System Restore Point, I installed them with no problems. However, it found nothing on my laptop.

• johnjtraynor
    johnjtraynor Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks.   Based on your suggestion I downloaded new drivers and everything works fine.

Now if you could just make Microsoft fix the IE auto zoom between monitors I'd submit you to Marvel as a new superhero.

Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.