Max micro-sd memory that W510-1432 handle?

Options
onederer
onederer Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I put in a new 32GB micro-SD memory in the W510-1432 tablet. Can it handle more than that? What is the max. value memory that it can handle? Does that memory additionally combine with the other internal memory, or just treated as a separate hard drive? This tablet is supposed to come with 32GB of memory (not much to do anything!). In case I can't get back here soon enough, please forward a copy of your reply to: [edited for privacy]. Thanks!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Although the SD slot is officially a SDHC slot with 32GB max capacity, many people have found the 64GB SDXC cards work just fine. I believe the only issue with the larger cards shows up when you try to reformat them. I haven't heard of anyone trying a 128GB card yet, probably due to the expense.

SD card are always treated as a separate removable drive by Windows. You won't be able to merge the with the C drive.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • onederer
    onederer Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options

Shucks! It would be nice if that msd card could be merged with the C:\\ drive!

How about the memory stacking solution offered in Windows 8.1. Would that work the samre way? Or is that something foreign to this idea? Would this "stacking" be more like a raid array setup? How does that apply to tablets?

Thanks for your come-back!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

The memory stacking that I've heard about is a new chip technology, allowing much greater density than existing memory chips. That is hardware and has nothing to do with Windows 8.1...

The biggest problem with using some technique to merge the C drive and removable storage such as an SD card has to do with what happens when you remove the card... Currently that would make the internal portion of the drive unusable. It's much better to set things up so that user data, like documents or media, is stored on the removable drive and keep the internal drive for applications and the OS.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
This discussion has been closed.