ReCapturing the Past

Options
Ubie-san
Ubie-san Member Posts: 1 New User

Like many subscribers, I've been doing computers before there were personal units. As a result, I have an attic full of bygone eras. Problem is, some of those were good units. At present, I am typing on my Aspire 9810 in Vista 32bit. This unit was one of the best notebooks/laptops I've ever owned. It was designed well, maintenance was made easy, then Windows 7 came along and it became untenable as there was no upgrade possible. We moved on. Vista may not have been everyone's dream but on the 9810, one BSOD in four years. Not bad!

Now I am faced with trying to use some of the software and equipment that was expensive and useful in my endeavors but were solely based in Vista and XP. So I says to myself, "self, why don't you create a legacy station in your utility room using a multi-boot of a legacy machine that allows use of the scanners, plotters, etc. - thousands of dollars of equipment - that were XP and/or Vista?" "Good idea!" says I.

Chosing the 9810 was a no brainer. It was Vista 32 as there were no Vista 64 drivers (too bad on Acer's part) - Vista 32 was good on this unit. And, because of the controversies with Vista, Acer - intelligently - provided XP 32 drivers. They are still on the support site. So, multi-boot it is, Vista 32 - done withoug problems however time consuming - and XP 32. Well.... that XP thing didn't go so well. As no recovery system for XP 32 is available, or at least not that I can find, I used a retail copy that I had about ten years ago. Unfortunately, eight attempts to load it have all failed immediately after the system loading process dies after the first re-boot from the hard drive. There was no conflict with Vista as a separate, stand alone hard drive, was used when building the XP capability, i.e., the only hard drive in the computer was dedicated to XP. Should have been a no-brainer, one that I did several times for other computers in the late 90s, early 2000s. Before each attempt, we returned to candidate system drive to a raw state, used the necessary RAID drivers (ICH7MR - v5.7.0.1002) only to be sent into an infinite cyber wait (in one case, left it run for two days just to see) on first "loading system" reboot. I am patient if nothing else.

Of course the computer is long out of warranty. No direct contact addresses with makes contact with compassionate technician nearly impossible.

Any ideas?

Recapturing some of the capability lost when systems evolve and you don't have the money to replace the past technologies that, while seemingly ancient, do their functions very well. I have an attic full of very capable dinosaurs that I would like to use again. Guess I have to learn how to re-write drivers and defeat planned obsolescence.

b.

[edited for privacy]

This discussion has been closed.