Audio device not detected on Acer Aspire M3-581TG

Options
rickarmitage
rickarmitage Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi there Acer Community,

I've recently developed problems getting the audio device working on my laptop. To give some background, I have an Acer Aspire M3-581TG, on which I am operating Windows 8.

Yesterday I did some clean-up work on my computer - the usual de-fragging, disabling programs on startup etc. However, since doing this I've now got a red cross over my speaker icon in the bottom right corner. When I now go into the Control Panel, it tells me that no audio device is installed.

Since then, I've tried the following:

1. Downloading and re-installing the device drivers from the Acer website (driver suggested is Realtek 6.0.1.6995_W8x64_A. This has no effect - as soon as I restart my computer I return with no difference made.

2. I've attempted a system restore to earlier yesterday when the sound was still working. However, every time I restart, it states the restore has failed to be completed properly. (This issue could well be linked to a long-time issue I've had where Windows 8 fails to conduct a system update when restarting - it get's stuck in a 'Configuring Update' loop several times before failing to carry this out).

I'm really unsure what to do to fix this. Any and all advice of steps I could take to remedy this would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Rick

Firstly, press the Windows key & R - this will bring up the Run box. Type: devmgmt.msc & press enter. This will bring up your device manager. Select your audio device, right click and select "Uninstall". Once done, restart your machine. Windows should now re-install the device.

I'd suggest to do a complete re-install of Windows from your recovery partition, just make sure you've backed up everything first! If the problem still remains then you may have an hardware issue which will need Acer support if it's under warranty, or a visit to your local PC store if it isn't.

• rickarmitage
    rickarmitage Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks Finlux,

I've given the remove a try, but upon restarting, Windows doesn't reinstall the drivers. I've gone back to the Device Manager and tried to get Windows to re-install them, but whilst it says it can find the drivers, it can't download them.

Beginning to suspect there are bigger issues here. As I'm within warranty for another month, I'll dispatch this to get it looked at.

Thanks for the attempt - Kudos to you.

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Good luck Rick, let us know how you get on!

This discussion has been closed.