Installing a new version of BIOS for Acer-Extensa 5220 failed.

Options
acooperator
acooperator Member Posts: 34 New User

Hi,

My poduct name is Extensa 5220.

There was a Windows SP3 32Bit installed on my laptop, and when I reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate(64Bit). I really didn't get unknown devices, except 'Mass Storage controller', which forced me to install Card Reader driver downloaded from the Acer Home page. However, I didn't install any other derivers.

I have this version of BIOS V1.16.

When I checked drivers  for Windows 7(64Bit) in the home page of Acer, I found  new BIOS version file was there. I really downloaded it

But when installing it I got this error below.

Answers

• rallyman
    rallyman Member Posts: 28 New User
    Options

Why are you trying to update the bios ? what problem are you having ?

• borkokrz
    borkokrz Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

Did you tried to Run as Administrator this Bios update ?

• rallyman
    Options

I am not the one who is trying to update the bios, its acooperater.

• acooperator
    Options

Thanks a lot, I hope you take some out of your precious time out to go thourgh all my detailed post below and If you have a deep look at it, you will  see why I am trying to install BIOS.

NOTE: I am only facing an error starting windows while 512MB is plugged  on the second slot and the 2GB is installed on the second slot. However, when I reverse no error starting windows shown to me. Thus, I was advised to

This the details::

Windows is being installed on the hard disk before trying doing these steps:

I noticed that moving  the 512MB  from its slot (the port #1) on which is previousely pre-installed  to to be intalled on the other one slot #2 caused  an error starting windows.

First: Whenever I install the 512MB on the other slot which was empty and the 2GB in the slot on which 512MB was installed, I faced this error starting windows 'Windows Errors Recovery', there are two options 'Lunch Startup Repair' and 'Start Windows Normally'.

Neither of them made windows start well. The first ends up with the blue screen error shown in screenshots below,

Sometimes, this is

I had to shut off the computer by holding 'shut down' button because there were no other options.

However, the second 'start windows normally' let windows restart and then the same options showed and so on.

Whenever I booted to the advance boot options by pressing F3,  I saw any option ended up with the blue screen error before reaching to the option

Also, I have chosen the 'Startup repair' option shown in the two options, but the same error shows me before accessing the repair options.

Besides, I have booted with 'Windows Repair Disc', but the same blue screen error showed to me before reaching to the options

In addition, I have booted with Macrium Rescue CD to fix the Windows boot errors, but this error sowed to me before reaching the options

Second:, whenever I removed the 512MB installed on the slot#1, then installed it on other slot #2 which was empty and let the slot #1 on which the 512MB was installed becomes empty, I faced the same error. However, when I boot to the 'advance boot options' and chose 'repair', after that, I chose 'dignostics tools'. Next, I chose scan memory. Finally, I found Windows started well.

Third:When I removed the 512Mb installed on the slot#1 and reinstalled it on the slot#1 as it was pre-installed  before, and the other slot #2 becomes back empty, I didn't face error at all.-----Total RAM is 512MB

Fourth:  When I let the 512MB stays installed on the first slot( #1) on which it was pre-installed, and I installed the 2GB on the other slot(#2), I didn't find any error.------Total RAM is 2.5GB

Fifth:When I removed the 512MB was installed on the first slot and then installed the 2GB in this slot and let the other one stays empty, I didn't face any error. ------Total RAM is 2GB

Sixth: when I removed  the 512MB was installed on  the first slot and let it empty and I installed the 2Gb on the scond one which was empty, I didn't face any error.----Total RAM is 2GB

• Why does moving the 512Mb into another solt cause an error starting windows?
    • Why does keeping the 512MB installing the the first slot#1 and adding the 2GB on the the second slot #2  not cause an error starting windows?
    • Why does error starting windows caused by moving the 512Mb into another solt while the 2GB installed on the first slot #1 on which the 512 was isntalled presist, however, error starting windows caused by moving the 512Mb into another solt while the 2GB is not installed was repaired?

Note: the error is only with moving  the 512Mb from first slot into another slot,  I don't have any problem when I let the 512MB stay installed on the first slot( #1) on which it was pre-installed, and I installed the 2GB on the other slot(#2), I didn't find any error.------Total RAM is 2.5GB.

My computer is now running while both memories installed. But 512 is plugged  in to its first slot as it was before, and the other one(2GB) is in the second slot. Thus, if there were error with any memories, then I would have faced an error when letting 512MB installed on the first slot and the 2Gb installed on the second slot.

Also, If  the  replacement (2GB) were not be fully compatible, then I would face error when the (2GB) is plugged in to the second slot, which was empty.

I am only surprised about why there is no error while 512MB is installed on slot#1(as it was installed on it before) and 2Gb is installed on the second slot. However, when I reverse, I have an error.

Although  I think no need to do test, I have tried  to  test memories while 512MB is installed on slot#2 and 2Gb is installed on the first slot.  Although the testing state indicated that the test was running, I didn't see any progress of testing over a long time(two hours), such as the time elapsed wasn't computed, the pass was still 0  and the test percent was still 25. Even when I have tried clicking on the 'ESC' located in the bottom left-hand corner to cancel the test, there was no response at all. Simply, there is only a blue screen as it is shown below without doing anything.

However, when I tried testing the memories on the same  laptop of mine while 512MB was installed on slot#1(as it was installed on it before) and 2Gb was installed on the second slot, I saw that there was a progress of testing and time elapsed was counted. Also, when clicked on 'ESC', located on the lowest left-hand corner, the test was cancelled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been told that:::

My laptop uses shared memory for graphics, this could explain the differences, also as mentioned previously the BIOS reads the memory SPD value and sets the memory speed / timeing accordingly. Memory speed / Timeing will effect subscores.

With all 2.5GB of memory installed AND stable you may want to enter the BIOS and see if there is a setting to increase the shared Video / Graphics value. If you can increase the shared memory value (from 128MB for example to 256MB) you may see a improvement in the graphics subscore.

1. Thank you for emailing us today. I have read your email and it sounds like there might be a case of a memory speed issue going on. This is where one module is faster than the other and the system trying to make the 512MB module jump up to the spped of the 2GB module. This can be sometimes solved with a flash of the BIOS latest version and I have provided the link for you. If not you can try to go into the BIOS and set the spped to match the 512MB module if it will let you. If that does not work then you will need to run the 512MB in the first slot. Only because I show that your system can only handle 2GB and that is a 1GB module in each slot.

BIOS
      http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus, because I  am absolutely agree with that my laptop uses shared memory for graphics, but when I have entered to the BIOS, I saw  no options to do anything such as altering or setting memory at all. What I have seen was only information about the memory.

System Memory:  640KB
    Extended Memory: 2550MB
    Video Memory: 8MB

NOTE: I have seen this information above in BIOS while 512MB and 2GB were installed on either slot.

But as said when 512MB was installed on slot #1 and 2GB was installed on #2, there was no error starting windows. However, when reversed, there was an error starting windows.

When only 512MB was installed on either slot, I saw

System Memory:  640KB
    Extended Memory: 502MB
    Video Memory: 8MB

NOTE: 10MB are missed in the Extended Memory in either information

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a result, I am expecting that updating the BIOS will be adding any other options letting me change and alter Memory.

• acooperator
    Options
    Yes, I have tried to run it as admin, but it made no difference.
  • rallyman
    Options

Take a look at this page http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Acer-memory/Extensa/Extensa+5220-upgrades.html 

I think the maximum memory you can use is 1gb per slot

• acooperator
    Options

Thanks a lot,

But if so,

Then

First: Why wouldn't I be facing an error starting windows while 512MB was plugged in the first slot, and 2GB was plugged on the second slot.

Second: Why would there a 2.5GB in the system inofrmation?

• rallyman
    Options

Because 512mb is'nt over the 1gb threshold, try and get hold of some 1gb sticks and try again. The last thing i would do is to upgrade the bios, better to leave it as it is. 

• borkokrz
    Options

I've used 5220 with 3GB of RAM for several years. Both Kingston DIMMs. But his config (1gb+2gb) works only in one configuration. I don't remember it now, but it is only 2 settings. One will work fine, the second will cause an error at boot.

• borkokrz
    Options

I'm not entirely sure, but his BIOS flash program or library may be only 32bit. Maybe running this in x64 operating system causes an error. Try to run it from 32bit (XP or Win 7).

• rallyman
    Options

Then one of your sticks is bad, its only recommended to use 1gb sticks. try a 1gb on its own if you can then add another later.

• rallyman
    Options

Then one of your ram sticks is bad, try a 1gb stick then add another later if it works ok

• acooperator
    Options

Yes, I agree with you to a certian extent, however, there is something I would quite disagree with is that the BIOS program I have downloaded from the Acer Home Page is for the 64Bit versions of Windows 7 because I have looked for Drivers for Win 7(64Bit).

• acooperator
    Options

Could you please read again my detailed post, you will see that I have posted all the six attemps?

In my second detailed post posted three posts ago. 

Note: first, second: there are errors.

Third, fourth, fifth, sixth, there are no errors.

• borkokrz
    Options

Look carefully at BIOS download files for any other operating system - they are all the same, no matter if dedicated for 32 or 64. Different download you will find here: ftp://ftp.acer-euro.com/notebook/extensa_5220/, but the 32bit application is the same, as you have already downloaded. Give it a try on 32bit OS.

Due to RAM configuration - 3 GB will work only, if 1GB DIMM will be in lower/bottom slot, 2GB DIMM in upper slot. This is the Intel GL960 chipset limitation independent of laptop manufacturer. The same questios for 3GB/4GB on GL960 you will also find on Sony or HP forums. I don't know why, but 3GB will work in mentioned config without any problems under Windows and Linux. Reverse configuration sometimes allows Linux to start, but not to open any program Smiley Happy

• vaizaren
    vaizaren Member Posts: 44 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

first of all... never update bios when you dont encounter with it

second....

your problem if im not wrong is you cant update your bios right?

then, try extracting the exe there... then run the update.bat..

., you can read how i fixed my problem here

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/aspire-v5-471g-notebook-problems/m-p/159191#M30857

• KevGo
    KevGo Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options
    you may try disabled (or maybe uninstall) all your system utility and security.
    that's made blocked an bios update in your case.
    or you may try update your BIOS over live CD (but it's not recommended)
  • acooperator
    Options

Thanks a lot all of you.

I really don't have any problems with BIOS at all. However, as said before, with plugging 512MB in slot2 and 2GB on slot1.

By the way, if updating BIOS wouldn't do any difference, then why would a company have released it.

• borkokrz
    Options

New version of BIOS is usual set of fixes or enchacements like new hardware (CPU) support etc. Look below at details between 1.16 and 1.35 BIOS versions:

DEFECT/FEATURE IMPLEMENTED:
    1.  Remove LID-close shutdown
    2.  Update BU code
    3.  Update VBIOS to 1471j
    4.  Disable ATI M82 ASPM
       Updating KBC to 2.46 for JP KB
    1.     Refer Kernel Code to r1.45
    2.     Support Wistron Winflash64 to protect BIOS ROM
    3.     Change IOTRAP of FIR workaround
    4.     Update KBC TO v2.45
    1. change SATA = "IDE Mode" as default
    1       Update KBC/WB8AC243.KBC
    2.       Add G7921 workaround.
       1. G7921 workaround: S3 resume hang up issue.
       2. Update KBC to V2.42
     based on v1.27 and added the following items:
        Add Thermal Trip workaround provided by Intel
    based on V1.26 and added the following items:
       1. Add Toggle RTC REG_B[7] to fix RTC CMOS stop issue.
       2. Set BIOS WatchDog flag to KBC.
       3. Update KBC to 02.41:
          (1). Protect EC 83h brightness level if over max value then set to max=09h.
          (2). Add BIOS WatchDog function.
    based on V1.25 and update KBC 02.40 that added Penryn CPU thermal table
    This BIOS is based on V1.24 and added the following items:
    1.      Add Penryn CPU ID = 0676h BUCODE.
    2.      Fix MXM card CP49 issue, removed the code - "Fix 4G memory OPTIMIZATION
    This BIOS is based on V1.23 and added the following items:
    1.      Support nVidia G86 MXM
    2.      Modify Thermal Table for Penryn CPU
    3.      Update KBC to 02.39
    (1). Fixed Internal/External NumLock issue.
    (2). Create B/C/T: Thermal Table ID for Penryn CPU (Use Sensor 1 for CPU thermal policy)

This BIOS is based on V1.22 and added the following items:
    1.      Update Kernel Code to r1.37 to support Penryn CPU
    2.      Update KBC to 02.38

This BIOS is based on V1.21 and added the following items:
     1. Fix do restore by HDD boot.

based on V1.20 and added the following items:
       1. Disable SERR# of PCI-E & M74/M76 VGA devices.
       2. Change HD Audio IRQ=21 (PCMCIA 3G card issue).

1. Change VBIOS to crl1471f.bwa

This BIOS is based on V1.18 and added the following items:

1. Modify AX=9610h, BX=0236h INT15 Get VGA Type
       based on V1.17 and added
       1. Update VBIOS to 1471-0
       2. Update KBC to 02.37
          I. Fix Shift combine key will issue repeatly.

based on V1.16 and added SATA Mode in BIOS Setup Menu.

• borkokrz
    Options

Look at this updates: ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/extensa_5220/bios/. Maybe instead of update from 1.16 to 1.35 directly, try to update to some previous version first, and then if successfull - update to 1.35 ?

This discussion has been closed.