Acer Aspire 5742Z Notebook Boot Problem

Options
dmccoy95209
dmccoy95209 Member Posts: 4 New User

I have an Acer Aspire 5742Z Notebook.

It developed a problem all on it's own and I cant get to the bottom of it.

The Laptop will not boot up.

I have checked the hard drive externally and it appears to be working properly.  The bios recognizes the Hard Drive as IDE:0 Hitachi HTS545032B9A300.

The bios version of this unit is 1.01.  It is running Windows 7.

When the laptop boots I get the black screen error message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the problem:

To fix the problem:

Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. 

Because the recovery is on the hard disc, I tried to run the recovery routine, but it failed.

I ordered the Repair Disc's from Acer ($20) and tried to restore from them.

I put in the System Disc (1of1) and it loads the necessary files.

I first chose to install the OS saving all data.  But it showed there was no saved data on the HDD.

I selected Restore to factory settings.

The System Disc (1of1) loads fine.

The CD ejects then asks for the Recovery Disc (1of3).

I put in the first Recovery Disc and it starts loading .swm files until about 5%, then the laptop powers off and restarts itself.

I have tried to do this about 30 times with the same results.

Does anyone have an Idea as to what I am doing wrong or am missing?

At this point is there anything I can do from the command prompt if I make a Windows 7 boot disc?

Thanks to all.... Happy Holidays!

Donavan.

Answers

• dmccoy95209
    Options

PS.... the HDD shows 240GB size when the Recovery Disc reports it's size.  Not sure if that is important.

• rallyman
    rallyman Member Posts: 28 New User
    Options

Try another hard drive, i have just replaced a hitachi hard drive in a laptop that had the same problem you are having. Then run your discs again.

• dmccoy95209
    Options

I tried new memory and that did not resolve the issue.  A new hard drive is being shipped to me.  I will try that and report back on this.  Fingers crossed it's not the motherboard.

• dmccoy95209
    Options

I received a new 500GB drive and installed it into the laptop.  The Bios recognized the new drive.  I began the install sequence and it loaded the first disc.  It asked for the second disc and loaded about 5% and it powered of again.

So it appears to be a motherboard issue. (MBBRBO2001).  It does not appear to be too difficult to install as long as you keep your wits about you.  The install video for this model can be found at : www.laptopinventory.com.

Happy New Year Everyone!

This discussion has been closed.