Acer Travelmate 5720 Can I Swap out the WD Scorpio 160gb (9mm) with an Seagate Hybrid SSHD (7mm) ?

Options
nemesiz
nemesiz Member Posts: 1 New User

Currently investigating upgrading my fathers Acer Travelmate 5720 to improve load times. Basically wanting to switch the Scorpio Black SATA 160GB Hard Drive (WDC WD1600BEVT) which measures 9mm ( 9.5mm drive) for a Seagate 500GB Solid State Hard Drive (SSHD). The problem is that the newer 3rd generation Seagate thin SSHD drives measures 7mm, so I'm wondering if the metal internal caddy supports the thinner drive without having to change it. Had only a quick look.

Also concerning the upgrade If I create a backup onto CD of the original hard drive using the Acer Recory Software, is it possible to run the backup containing the Vista OEM software onto the new drive (after using Discwizard to partition it) or would I need to get the discs from Acer (if they still sell Vista) or clone the system, then adjust the partitions via administration rights?

If anyone could partially or fully answer the question it would be appreciated. Thank You.

This discussion has been closed.