acer keeps rebooting

Options
keefesim
keefesim Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi guys, my acer desktop boots, shows the acer screen(but im unable to press F12 or delete to enter boot settings/bios setup). Then, the computer automatically powers down by itself, and reboots. The same thing repeats itself until i fiddle abit with the internal components. If it does work eventually, the computer sometimes hang and makes a buzzin sound, causing the entire process to repeat from the beginning. I'd really appreciate any help and advice on quick solutions. Thank you! (:

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi keefesim

What internal components do you "fiddle" with? It may be that there is a problem with one that stops Windows from starting.

A buzzing noise inside your tower is usually emitted from the hard disk or the power supply, and could be the cause of your problem.

Investigate a bit more and post back with the results...

• zm
    zm Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hello, my aspire (X1470-UR308, Windows 8) also reboots /shutdown itself often without any warnings. I haven't changed any hardware. I've updated the BIOS to the latest version available from Acer's website and changed the BIOS settings back and forth. No luck. It's really frustrating. Anybody else has the same problem?  Any help would be highly appreciated!

• finlux
    Options

Hi zm

Reboots & random shutdowns are usually a sign of a bad motherboard or power supply. If your PC is still under warranty contact Acer support for your region.  If it is now out of warranty, try contacting your local PC store who will be able to help.

• Pamlie
    Pamlie Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

aspire 7551-2560 will not shut down...seems to be in a reboot loop.  Have to remove battery & pull power cord WHEN SCREEN GOES BLACK OR IT AUTOMATICALL REBOOTS ITSELF

• finlux
    Options

Hi Pamlie

See here for some advice on your problem. If it still keeps restarting after you've tried everything suggested, then back up all your data, and reinstall Windows.

• zm
    zm Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi finlux,

It turns out you are right: It's the power supply that caused the self-rebootings and shutdowns (sometimes I also had to unplug/plug the power cord to turn on the computer as some other users experienced). After trying with a generic psu (Athena, flex, 320 W) the problems all go away.  Now the delemma I'm facing: should I buy an Acer psu (it's proprietory so only it can securely fit the case, and it's more expensive)? The faulty one (Lite-on, 220W) is fairly new, made in November 2012. This is the 1st Acer computer I own and I'm a little bit disappointed. From what I read, quite a few users seem to have the same problem.  Anyway, many thanks and kudo to you!

zm      

• finlux
    Options

Hi zm

I'd go for the Acer PSU - it will fit in the case better.

I can understand your disappointment, but the problem is with Lite-on - they made the PSU. The same problem could occur with a different make of PC!

This discussion has been closed.