Aspire 1420P Black Screen (of Death)

Options
beckettsimmons
beckettsimmons Member Posts: 4 New User

Gooday, 

So I was recently trying to ugrade my RAM chips (SO-DIMMs) on my Acer Aspire 1420P.  In the process I found that the new SO-DIMMs I had where DDR-2 as opposed to the DDR-3 that the Aspire is compatible with. So essentially I opened up the bottom panel only to put it back on again.

I then tried to reboot my machine but got a completely black screen when I pressed the power button. The two lights that flash are the 'num-lock' and 'cap-lock' lights at the top left. Then the lights that stay solid is the power light (beside the power switch on the right) and the ones seen below:

topLeftLights.jpg    bottomLeftLights.jpg

I have looked into many answers online and on these forums and none have worked for me. The fan is working, harddrive is spinning, battery charged and reinserted, also openned the bottom pannel again and reinserted my only SO-DIMM chip multiple times... Tried an alternative monitor, also alternative keyboard. Also, tried pressing 'F2' to see if I could make any type of noise from the BIOS, didn't work.

Also, I noticed that when the power button is pressed this an approximately 2 second delay before any lights are on (never happened before).

The OS I was using was Ubuntu 13.03 (Raring). If that is relavent at all.

Could this be a BIOS issue maybe something that could be resolve with something like this? http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/22042-acer-aspire-one-black-screen-of-death

Thanks a lot to anyone who could give any type of help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options

Have you tried the F5 and/or F6 keys to toggle screen or change monitors?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beckettsimmons
    Options

Yes, I have tried the F5/F6 keys. Nothing happens.

When I hook up another monitor it just goes to 'Power Saving Mode'.

Doing both together makes no difference.

• JackE
    Options

Sorry, not a good sign that you also can't get an external monitor to work. You can try the bios approach but it seems more like the MB's video subsystem somehow was adversely affected --- perhaps static electricity? Before you try the bios fix, I would make sure you're video ribbon is securely seated at the LCD and MB connections --- unfortunately you may have to pop off the keyboard and screen bezel in order to access this cable.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beckettsimmons
    Options

*sigh* Unfortunately, I don't recall grounding myself before replace the RAM...

So I removed the keyboard and everything looked OK. Gave both of the ribbons a little push.

MBRibbons.jpg

Also, I noticed the BIOS fixed won't work with my model since Acer didn't release such a file at http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers for Aspire 1420.

The only reason I assumed that is might be BIOS rather that video is because of the wierd power on delay and light schemes. But I guess a busted video system would screw with the POST and such.

• JackE
    Options

A long shot. But have you also tried the HDMI port to a TV? Also toggle the F5/F6 keys just in case you don't see anything at first.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beckettsimmons
    Options

Couldn't get my hands on a HDMI cable.

Any other ideas?

• JackE
    Options

Home Depot, Lowes, Radio Shack, Target, Wal-Mart & Five Below stores all have HDMI cables in their electronic sections. Pretty common nowadays. I got a 6-foot cable for $5 at Five Below. A 15-footer from Home Depot for $13. They come in handy for other uses even if it doesn't work out for your current problem.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.