Aspire 7535-5415 loosing hard drive

Options
indijones
indijones Member Posts: 5 New User

I have had this laptop for over three years and had numerous problems including the keypad sticking out, overheating & the battery going dead one week after the one-year warranty period expired. Now the worst problem has started. Everytime I start the computer, a black screen shows up with the message: "SMART detected hard drive failure. Press F1 to start". After pressing F1, Windows starts up but intermittently keeps warning to back up the hard drive or else everything will be lost. Now I presume that I have to buy a new hard drive for this Acer brand junk & replace it. I didn't get any Windows 7 x64 cd with the laptop. If I replace the drive, how will I get Windows installed on it? Thanks!

p.s: I tell everyone I know to stay away from Acer!

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hello indijones

Sorry to hear of the problems you've had with your laptop. Firstly, backup all your data on the drive to a memory stick or external drive.

When you buy a new computer, you must make your own recovery disks. You will keep getting pop-ups reminding you. This is Acer's eRecovery program. Nearly ALL manufacturers make you do this, and do not include disks as standard.

However, all is not necessary lost. When Windows starts up - go to Start>All Programs>Acer>Acer eRecovery Management. When the box displays, click on "Create Factory Default Disk", This will allow you to make your own recovery disks. It usually takes 3 blank DVD's - Plus one more for the "Create Drivers & Applications disk"

If this works (providing the fault on the hard drive is not where the recovery data resides), then you can use them when you buy a new hard drive to install Windows.

If all else fails, Acer support for your region may be able to supply you with a set of recovery disks for your model.

• indijones
    indijones Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Thanks filnux! I'll give it a try.

This discussion has been closed.