Acer XC105 A4 2nd HDMI port doesn't work

Options
dusdat
dusdat Member Posts: 10 New User

Hello everyone!

I just purchased last week the Acer XC-105 A4.

Now on the backside of the desktop there are 2 HDMI outputs, on the GPU and another one (not connected to the GPU).
The one connected to the GPU works fine, but the other doesn't do a thing!
Also I can't find any settings of the 2nd HDMI output in the AMD section or in the Control Panel.
I tried searching for the problem including here, but can't find the solution!
Can anybody help me with this?

By the way the fan on the graphicscard (AMD Radeon HD8470 2GB) is working bit too loudly, it really bugs me out.
I assume there isn't a possibility to solve this problem or to even turn this fan down (because I don't use it for heavy graphic processes, like gaming or such)?
I was thinking about replacing it for my old 8800GT but then I would lose one of my HDMI ports, so that's also a reason that I'm asking about the 2nd not working HDMI port.
Not sure if that's even possible because the 8800GT is PCI-E card, not sure if the Radeon is a PCI-E card too, because I didn't open the desktop (yet), because of the warranty seal. Any thoughts/ideas on this?

Greetings!

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi dusdat

It sounds as if you're talking about the onboard HDMI slot, and the one on the graphics card. If you have a graphics card, your onboard graphics will be disabled, you cannot use onboard graphics and the graphics card at the same time. The only way to use 2 HDMI ports (for 2 monitors usage) would be to upgrade your card for one with 2 ports built in, but as specs and sizes vary, you will need to find one that fits!

If your existing card has HDMI and/or DVI/VGA you can connect another monitor to that. Just remember that you may need to upgrade your power supply, if it is a low wattage model, if you change your card.

It may be possible that your existing card may be noisy because it has a build up of dust, although if your PC is under warranty, it should not be. If you really think the fan is excessively noisy, then contact Acer support to see if they can help!

• dusdat
    dusdat Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

Thank you for your response finlux, that's some info that really helped me out!

So I decided to open up the pc, to find out exactly where the noisiness comes from.
    It's a combination of the fans of the GPU and the CPU. I turned off the GPU fan manually (by unplugging the little fan cable on the GPU). I know the risk is it'll get too hot, but I don't use the PC for any games or such. I'll also manually monitor the GPU temperature, to see if it gets too hot.

Now I still notice that the CPU fan is running a bit (too) loudly. I know there are different kinds of CPU fan control programs but most of them apply to notebooks.
    So I tried the 2 most common ones: AA1 Fan Control & A1CTL Fan Control.
    The first one doesn't seem to do very much, I can't get the 2nd working properly.

Do you or anybody else have a good solution (like a good fan control program) or other advise regarding CPU fan control?

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi dusdat!

Speedfan is a program that is recommended by many, and will allow you to control the speed of your fans.

Glad to have been some help!

This discussion has been closed.