Basic question re: Acer laptop

Options
SunKist
SunKist Member Posts: 2 New User

When my longtime PC was getting ready to quit,  my son sent me his laptop which he had had for a few years.  I love everything about it, but there's been one ongoing issue:  can someone tell me what its temperature is supposed to be? 

I know nothing about the laptop's details, and all I have to go on is terminal -> sensors.  It usually says 50 or 55, but occasionally it reads 60 or 65.  Is this normal, or too high? 

The reason I'm asking is I read someplace that it's supposed to be 40, so I'm really worried about it. 

Any info would be appreciated.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi SunKist!

40-50 degrees is the normal temperature for your laptop, but sometimes may be a little more, depending what you are doing. If you're running a processor-hungry task, it will get a little hotter!

A couple of things you can do:

1. Go to your local PC store, and buy a can of compressed air. Use it around the vents and fans of your laptop to blow out any dust build up, as dust can increase temperatures, and block the air flow. If you're confidant enough, remove the base of your laptop to get easier access.

2. Buy a laptop cooler, they're not too expensive. They attach to the base of your laptop, and are powered via USB. They can help to reduce temperatures by up to 10 degrees.

Doing both of the above will definitely help in reducing the temperatures of your laptop. If you feel you're not confident to remove the base of your laptop, ask at your local store to see how much they charge!

• SunKist
    SunKist Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you...  I did blow it out with the canned air (inside) and it didn't make much difference...  ordered a cooler by mail, haven't received it yet, but I hope it will help. 

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options
    Good luck, keep us informed!
This discussion has been closed.