Acer 7551g-5407. Not seeing all memory

Options
acermike
acermike Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, I have an Acer 7551g-5407 laptop that has been great to me.  It has 2x 4g memory sticks and I had it working with 8g memory available to the OS.

The motherboard recently died and I had it replaced.  Now it only POSTS with 4093m of memory.  I've tried and memtested both memory sticks, and they both are good.

Inside the BIOS, on the "Main" page it shows 8096m memory, but POSTS with 4093m.  The system BIOS is V1.18.

The new boards serial# is: ***

The SN on the case is: ***

What can I do to get the 8G of memory available again?  Is there a better BIOS version?

Thanks!

Mike

[edited for privacy]

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi acermike!

I presume the motherboard has been replaced with the exact same model that died? I have checked the Acer Support site, and V1.18 is the latest BIOS for your mobo.

Stupid question, I know, but you have reinstalled 64 bit Windows & not 32 bit? Try here for some ideas you can try.

• acermike
    Options

Hi, thanks for the reply!

"I presume the motherboard has been replaced with the exact same model that died?"

I think it was, but can't be certain.  The SN's are the best way to tell, but I don't have access to that info.

"Stupid question, I know, but you have reinstalled 64 bit Windows & not 32 bit?"  

No worries, I've done dumber :-)  Yes, I'm running 64bit Ubuntu.

The BIOS says 8 gig.

But the computer is POSTing with 4093M.  

So, it seems the BIOS not offering the full memory to the OS.

When I bought the memory for the original mobo, I had this same problem.  I remember fixing it by flashing the BIOS.  My subconscious says version 1.24a or something like that, but that's not reliable.

I looked at the thread you noted and didn't see anything applicable I haven't tried already.

Is there a way to verify I got the right board from the SN's?

Thanks!

• acermike
    Options

Hey!  This is still broken and I'm kind of upset about it.

The max memory listed is 8gigs, but the BIOS only gives 4gigs to the OS.  I'm upset because it's a very easy fix in the BIOS, but it's not being offered.

I've tested the system with new memory and it's the same thing.

Can someone please help?

Mike

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi acermike

The only other thing you can try is to reset your BIOS, I.E "Load Factory Defaults" or it may be labeled as "Load Optimised Defaults".

If this fails to work, then there may be an issue with your motherboard.

This discussion has been closed.