Aspire x1200 - screen stuck on "Please wait a moment"

Options
Chloe
Chloe Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello All,

I tried restoring to factory settings by pressing Alt and F10 at startup.  Now screen just freezes "Please wait a moment".  Tried starting on safe mode and freezes on different screen.  Please Help.

Thank you All

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Chloe

Try repeating the ALT & F10 process again, to see if this will help. If the problem continues, try reinstalling from the recovery disks.

It may just be there is a problem with your eRecovery partition on your hard drive, that is preventing your recovery.

• Chloe
    Options
    Hello finlux,

I've continued trying Alt f10 several times with no success. Still freezes on screen "please wait a moment". Also I do not have the recovery disks.

At this point I just want to get windows to boot again even if I can't restore to original settings.

Please help. Thank you all so much!
  • finlux
    Options
    Hi Chloe

I think you may have a hard drive fault.

Try restarting your PC and as soon as you see the Acer logo press F8 continually. This will allow you to access the advanced boot menu. From there select "Repair Your Computer". Once you get to the recovery options menu, select the Start up repair option and let it run.

Hopefully, this MAY allow you to boot into Windows.

If this fails, contact Acer support for your region to obtain Recovery disks for your model. You will need these to restore Windows.

My only concern is that IF the hard drive is at fault, you may need one of them too.

Let us know how you get on!
  • Chloe
    Options

finlux,

Followed your suggestion and there is no "repair your computer" after f8.  There's safe mode, last know good config etc.  Tried all but leading to the same result (frozen screen on "please wait a moment").

According to Acer website (s/n lookup), there are no recovery disks for this computer.

Called Acer and was directed to third party tech support charging $99 for 1 issue service and no guarantee.

Can anyone please help out?

Thanks so much!

• finlux
    Options

Hi Chloe

OK, Plan B....

I presume it is Windows 7 on your X1200, so what you need to do is the following:

1. Go to the Acer support site for your region, and download all the drivers & applications for your model - it should be for 64 bit Windows, but check your original documentation if you're unsure. Save them to an external drive or memory stick, or even burn to disk.

2. Download the Windows 7 ISO (disk) image here, and burn to disk. Make sure you choose the correct version (which should be Home Premium and the correct architecture - 32 bit or 64 bit).

3. Boot from the Windows 7 disk and install Windows by following the on screen instructions. When finished, install all drivers & applications that you previously saved. This will give you a working WIndows 7. Finally, install all programs, Anti Virus and all your documents.

You're then good to go!

• Chloe
    Options

Thank you finlux.

My computer actually came with vista.  Can I still use 7 as you suggested?

• finlux
    Options
    You can, but if thats the case you will need to buy a Windows 7 disk, because you will need the product key it comes with. Your product key (on your PC) will not work with it, because it is for Vista.

Or you could buy a Vista disk.....
  • Chloe
    Options

Is there a vista iso link you can direct me to? 

Thanks again finlux!

• finlux
    Options

Hi Chloe

Microsoft never allowed Vista to be available as a download, only Windows 7 for some strange reason!

It is still available to buy from the likes of Amazon, but is not cheap. If you know a friend or family member who has a retail version you can borrow, you can use that to install on your PC, but you would need to use the product key from the label on the side of your PC.

But, the good(ish) news is that your PC has Windows 7 drivers available, so you can buy a Windows 7 disk, and use the drivers from the Acer support site. Amazon (UK) has Windows 7 OEM disk for only £69.99. This may be the best route to go.

Let us know how you get on!

This discussion has been closed.