SSD cache drive

Options
dgwynn
dgwynn Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an aspire R7-571, Windows 8.1, upgraded to 1TB HDD, 12 GB RAM. Boot time is slower than when I initially purchased it, sometimes taking as long as 5 minutes before the CPU slows down. Programs also open slower than expected given the RAM upgrade. How do I find if my SSD cache drive is doing it's job? Could there be a software issue since the OS and/or hardware upgrade? In Disk Management, both partitions of the SSD show 100% free. Is this any indication? This is my first computer with such a drive. Thanks for any help.

Answers

• b9chris
    b9chris Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

No brilliant answers for you, but I ditched the drive that came with the machine for a full SSD (not that the one that came with it is bad, it just will never be as fast as a full SSD). I have found that as Win8 has received updates, and especially post-8.1, it's also slowed down boot-wise for me. I'd say it was 4 seconds after switching to the plain SSD with plain Win8, and now it's closer to 7 seconds. Not killing me certainly, but noticeable.

So point being, it's probably not your drive, it's just Windows slowing down. It's inevitable - the incredible boot speed they had initially I'm sure took an amazing amount of balancing this start time with that, everything parallelized just perfectly. Then they patched a bunch of things for security which likely threw off the timing of all those moving parts. Not a lot of incentive to rebalance it all on Microsoft's end in free updates.

• iejielat
    iejielat Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I have the same issue with v7-582pg and acer support is only sujjesting restoring to win 8 Smiley Sad the ssd 20GB cace is not being used at all, its a month old laptop , it feels like buying an ACER was a waste of money

This discussion has been closed.