Aspire V5 Won't connect to specific Wifi but connects to others?!?!

Options
phoenixtx
phoenixtx Member Posts: 4 New User

This is the weirdest/craziest thing i've seen with a laptop.  My in-laws bought an Acer Aspire v5 (Win 8). They are in Houston and use Suddenlink internet with a wireless router. I can not for the life of me get their laptop to connect to this Wifi.  I am asked to enter the password and it just says "Cannot connect to network."  I have been successfull in getting another laptop, (2) iPhones and (2) iPads working on this wifi but not this Acer.  I take the Acer back to my house and it gets on my Wifi (Uverse) no problem. I'm stumped i've updated drivers, rolledback drivers and cant figure it out, please help.

Answers

• Alan-London
    Options

As you've successfully connected various other items I'm unlikely to be able to suggest something you're not already aware of but...

This sounds like a security settings issue to me. Check that your security type, encryption type and preshared key are correct.

I have had problems in the past when I've forgotten to press shift when entering alpha characters (mine are all upper case chars). The result, of course, was 'cannot connect to network'.

Also, my router by default will not allow any connection that is not approved so I need to temporarily 'tell' it to allow and register unknown connections. Perhaps yours has a similar function.

• phoenixtx
    Options

Alan-london

I've confirmed it's not any of the issues you've posted below. Every search I conduct for this type of issue always has to fo with the Acer never being able to connect to wifi. In my case it has been unable to connect to wifi in only once instant but been fine in all the other instances.  This same wifi which we have been unsuccessful with does allow other laptops and devices to connect to it though.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Phoenix, there are several possible causes, but it seems to be a software problem. I would try a deep scan with your antivirus and with the free Malwarebytes prgram. If it is a security settings problem, as was previously suggested, these won't help, but they won-t hurt, either.

• phoenixtx
    Options

I'll try that when back at my in-laws house. It's just the strangest thing i've ever seen happen.  Thankfully my own personal laptop works so I can download driver and things that might work.

Also we have tried hard wiring it into the router and that seemed to work.  Wouldnt this mean that it's got the correct security setup or is it different via Wifi?

Thanks

• Alan-London
    Options

No. Security settings such as 'WPA-PSK Encryption' and 'WPA-PSK Preshared Key' apply to WiFi only as does the response to unknown devices if implemented.

• khpitts
    khpitts Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

My Acer Aspire does the exact same thing.  I can connect at school, home, mcdonalds, etc.  However, it won't connect at either job that I work at.  I can only imagine that it has to do with their security settings, because we have very private insurance information about both jobs.  However, everyone else is able to connect.  It really makes no sense.

• vaizaren
    vaizaren Member Posts: 44 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

security issues on that dude Smiley Wink

• phoenixtx
    Options

Do you think it's security issues on the laptop or on the router?

• Alan-London
    Options

I doubt it is your in-laws router as other laptops you have set up with Suddenlink work ok.
    It would also appear that the laptop WiFi is Ok as it works on your Uverse connection too.
    (I assume you currently have two WiFi connections set up, one configured for Uverse and the other for Suddenlink.)
    I would still suspect a security issue (with the laptop). We know that the link is good as you receive the 'enter pass key' request from the router and the router has received your response and replies with a connection denial. I appreciate that you have checked the security settings but this does suggest an incorrect key and/or encryption type. Are you sure you used the correct upper/lower case when entering the key?
    While not the most scientific solution, I have found it quicker to compare two laptop side by side if possible. Stepping through the configuration on two machines in parallel does tend to highlight errors. If you can, give that I try.

• Arcticbird
    Arcticbird Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Your In-law's computer may have a vital internet service disabled by Windows when restarting or updating called "Wlansvc". Locate it in the task Manager, click on the services tab, right-click it and select "start" or "Enable" service. This service "Must" be running in order for your Windows 8 PC to recogize wifi Network's and connect to the internet. Hope this helps! :-)

This discussion has been closed.