TravelMate 5720

Options
Propmoe
Propmoe Member Posts: 6 New User

how do I activate Bluetooth? I cannot find the icon for BT anywhere. I have a little switch at the front of the uni

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, I suspect that's it!

Win8 is not supported and subsequently no drivers have been produced for that OS (Win7 drivers are the last).

Answers

• Alan-London
    Options

Not all 5720's have Bluetooth hardware.

Check 'Device Manager' for 'Bluetooth Radios'.

Also check for 'Bluetooth Device under 'Network adapters'

If nothing appears you may have a switch at the front to the right of centre.

You can also select 'Need to know the hardware on your system to choose the right drivers?' for your model from the Acer download site and see if Bluetooth hardware is detected.

I'm not sure if 'Launch Manager' applies to your machine but you could also try running that too.

• Propmoe
    Options

Thank you, I am thinking I do not have bluetooth on this unit. There is a switch at the front just right of center.

• Alan-London
    Options

If you have just the one switch, I suspect that is for WiFi. I believe you would have two if Bluetooth was installed.

• Propmoe
    Options
    I do have two switches, one says BT the other is for wifi.
  • Alan-London
    Options

OK. Try running  'Need to know the hardware...' as I mentioned earlier.

If that fails, set a restore point and try loading 'Launch Manager'. Roll back if that proves fruitless.

• Propmoe
    Options
    Nothing is working, i have loaded launch manager etc. in settings several of the BT settings are set at stopped. I cannot figure out how to change them. I am running window8.1 which I think is the problem.
  • Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, I suspect that's it!

Win8 is not supported and subsequently no drivers have been produced for that OS (Win7 drivers are the last).

• Propmoe
    Options
    On a personal note, thank you very much for your help and kindness in trying to help me. I think tomorrow i will do a roll back and stop auto updates too. Your assistance is truly appreciated.
  • Alan-London
    Options

No problem at all.

It's unfortunate that a solution hasn't been found. I'm assuming that your laptop does have the hardware fitted (I can't imagine Acer would include the switch if not). I also assume that Bluetooth was working when Vista was installed.

For the record, should you wish to continue searching, I believe the hardware module to be the Foxconn (FOX_BRM_2.0) BCM2045. Interestingly, the BCM2045 is produced by Broadcom and was used in other manufacturers machines. It's not impossible that if you can find a Win8 driver it could work. It's a long shot of course and you could just end up chasing your tail.

While far from ideal, you could perhaps consider using a small USB unit.

• Propmoe
    Options
    I too am thinking it is a Foxxcon.