Displayport to VGA resolution problem

Options
WRobN
WRobN Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello,

I bought a Displayport to VGA adapter.
Its for connecting my 3th screen since i have no other connections that are free.

I have a GTX660 DC2O 2GB. (1xHDMI 1xDVI-D 1xDVI-I 1xDisplayport)
And 3 ACER AL2216W monitors, and 1 of them has DVI besides VGA.

According to the web and shops, the adapter supports 1920x1080.
However i only need it to be 1680x1050.

I connected it but it only shows 1280x1024 as max native resolution.
The screen also isnt detected by windows correctly.

I deinstalled the monitor and added it manually. It now says i have a ACER 2216W, wich is correct.
But still only 1280x1024.
And drivers arent 64 bit for it..

I have no clue why i cant get it right.
Plz help!

Best Answer

• WRobN
    Answer ✓
    Options

Probably i have a solution.

It seems that the shop had the wrong advertizing, they called this DP>VGA, while instead it looks like its VGA>DP.

Answers

• WRobN
    Options

If i connect my laptop to it on VGA, the resolution can be set to 1680x1050, So its something with the displayport... However, according to all info, displayport>VGA-adapters should have support till much higher resolutions...

• Dsurian
    Dsurian Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter
    Options

Modern Mobo's and CPU's usually have integrated graphics, which usually includes (at least) a display port on the back of the mobo. Just want to make sure that you are using the display port on the back of the GPU and not the Mobo.

Otherwise, you should know that the 660 should be able to support 3 monitors, but any significant video demand beyond that (most gaming, etc.) would be very taxing and possibly inadviseable, especially at 1920x1080...might have better luck at 1680x1050, though.

Alrighty, now where is it saying that you have a limited resolution of 1280x1024? Is that what windows is saying when you right click the screen and select 'Screen Resolution'? ...if so, try instead to play around in the Nvidia Control Panel > Display > Change resolution (should be located in the system tray - bottom right of your primary monitor's task bar...or accessible through the Windows Control Panel). It can be considered somewhat useless, but it becomes much more useful when adding multiple cards or monitors. Let me know what you find out...

Alternatively, you could always try utilizing the HDMI port on the card instead of the display port (HDMI -> DVI adapter).

• WRobN
    Options

No i state very clear that i use GTX660.

normally im the one helping others...

And plz before you post things, make sure you know its true or not.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660-oem/specifications

Supports 4 DIGITAL monitors.

Quote from nVidia about GTX660:

"Nothing is as breathtaking as playing your favorite games across three monitors. At 5760 x 1080"

The limited res is mentioned everywhere, and nothing helps...

And no adding more cards isnt usefull. Since the 600 series you can triple screen without any loss in fps.

Try googling it, everyone is amazed that triple screen doesnt cause fps drops etc...

I still am clueless about this... The screen does work on 1680x1050. I tested this.

It looks like the displaylink port is causing this.. or the adapter from DP>VGA.

But the specs of it mentions a res of max 1920x1080.

• Dsurian
    Dsurian Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter
    Options

No reason to get bent out of shape - I cover everything in a broad way just to try to focus down as many possibilities as I can as quickly as I can. 

Yes, most GPU's that have 4(2,3) outputs can support that many monitors - sometimes even more. The question is, what can you actually do with them. I did Google it, and it's supposedly quite hard to play any decent games that are newer than WoW on 3 monitors with your card. Sure, you could go ahead and try playing something newer, but the only way you won't see fps drops is if you significantly lower the graphic settings of the games, or maybe lowering the resolution may help, as I'm sure you know. Not doing so could potentially damage the card...but if you'd like to try, and fully trust whatever you find in a random google search, by all means...

...concerning your problem, as you say, it's most likely the fault of the display port, in which case I don't see how it's Acer's (or these forums) problem. If I were you, I'd contact Nvidia (or the manufacturer of the card), as your own search seems to determine that it's their problem...and in the meantime, I'd suggest what I previously said - different adapter, HDMI > DVI...

• WRobN
    Options

Oh and i played in lower resolution all my games on max settings. You said you googled it and it sounds like its hard to play newer games then WoW..

I played hitman, F1-2012, xcom, etc.. All max... 

• WRobN
    Options

I will call or use chat tomorrow, at least i get help fast

• WRobN
    Answer ✓
    Options

Probably i have a solution.

It seems that the shop had the wrong advertizing, they called this DP>VGA, while instead it looks like its VGA>DP.

This discussion has been closed.