Acer Aspire V3-551G Windows 7 Install

CrazyGitar
CrazyGitar Member Posts: 4 New User

I've tried to search through the forum for the identical issue but I can't find this specific problem, just ones that are very closely linked but don't resolve my issue.

I've had my V3-551G recently returned from repair for having a motherboard fault and in the process I completely returned the laptop to factory settings, removing everything. I thought that this gave a perfect time to try the laptop with Windows 7 as I didn't really like the interface of Windows 8.

I've installed an OCZ 90GB SSD so that I don't mess with the original Windows 8 installation and can go back to it should 8.1 resolve a lot of the issues I have.

My problem is that when Windows 7 is installed I get a blue screen when I install the graphics drivers. I first tried everything direct from the Acer driver page and then branched out to the AMD site (although I didn't think they would work as I know laptop mobility drivers are specific for each brand). The error I see briefly is 'system_service_exception'.

I can install every other driver perfectly, including all the other AMD drivers that are in the same package as the VGA drivers. I have also re-installed Windows in case there was a problem during the initial installation and I've tried manually adding the drivers instead of through the installer but the exact same problem occurred.

I'm not sure if there's possibly an issue in the BIOS but after disabling the UEFI and successfully installing Windows I'm not sure what else would be affecting it.

If there's any known solution I'd love to hear it! The thing flies now it's on a SATA-III SSD and I'd hate to have to fumble getting Windows 8 on there instead.

Thanks!

Answers

• MetalSaint
    MetalSaint Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

First of all can you get the error code that appears in the blue screen ? or the exact error message.

also try installing ATI Beta Drivers if blue screen still occurs then get the error message or take a picture of it when it happens and send it here Smiley Happy

• CrazyGitar

Hey,

Sorry for the delay in replying, only just got the chance to try it again.

Here is the blue screen as it appears but there's nothing really definitive in the error other than it's clearly something to do with the graphics.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of someone getting this model of laptop working with Win 7, but as soon as I try to update the drivers for the graphics or do anything graphically taxing it just BSODs on me.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Gitar, let me give you a different solution to your problem.

In Windows 8, go to the Start Page and drag the Desktop tile to the top left corner. Now you only have to press Enter to go tot e Desktop.

On the Desktop, download the free Classic Shell Start Button. Now 8will run like XP and 7, only faster.

• CrazyGitar

Thank you for the suggestion, but the main reason I am doing this is so I can have an installation of Windows running on an SSD, which will run faster overall. Using Windows 7 is a mix of preferring it over 8 and actually having a licence key for it (although I know there's a different form of activation for Win 8, I don't have an installer for it and couldn't run the recovery partition to anything but the main drive).

This discussion has been closed.